Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x4093k

Tower Ladder Video

8 posts in this topic

I thought i'd share this video with you all.. Looks like the department knows what they're doing. Great job done by the department.

Enjoy..

Edited by x4093k
2231*, x129K, PFDRes47cue and 3 others like this

they did a quick knock down on this fire- if they were slow house would of been destroyed. Thanks for sharing was cool to watch.

Effective streams vs. non-effective streams. There is a lot of good learning here in this video. Too bad we didn't find it six years ago when it was first posted on youtube. I love looking at good vids and making them into training material

First off, it still amazes me that we as firefighters still pull 1 3/4" lines when we see that much fire. The first lines off the first due engine were both matties (see 2:50 mark in video). Granted I'll have critic say "well we only have XXX gallons of water" but with that much fire and heat, and the really bad exposure problem (I hate developments like this), go right for blitz attack. Practically all modern pumper shave deck / stang guns, use them! We all have big 2 1/2" lines, use them! The minimum diameter line that should be pulled off first should be at least a 2" hose line. Remember this equation: Big Fire = Big Water, GPM battles BTUs.

I think though the tactics were good, one line right to the B side exposure (white hose) as you can see the siding melted off in the video. All these homes are the same construction (cracker boxes in my opinion) and the focus on the exposure problem. I can't tell where the blue line goes except for some place on the D-side.

The tower bucket crew did good work hitting the center of the fire was and worked its way around. Looking at their rig on the dept's website, they have dual monitors (a big plus on TLs in my book). The only utilized one, the smoothbore. More than likely they they didn't have enough water but this would have been ideal to use the adjustable stream on this fire. More than likely getting the smoothbore in operations was priority due to the amount of fire, still a good call. Just think if they had enough water to operate both guns, the fire would have gone out quicker. A pumper with a two-stage pump set in volume would have helped supplied but again if their isn't enough water, you have to do whatever it takes.

Again overall from what we see on the vid, the crews did a hell of an effort and the ICs appeared to have made good calls protecting the crews.

PFDRes47cue, x4093k, sfrd18 and 1 other like this

Aside from the powercall siren in the beginning, a pretty good video. Looks the 2 crosslays were used for the #2 exposure, and the rear of the building, possibly (blue line). Very good to see that it looked like no one was operating inside the structure with the master stream flowing( no hose into the front door).

Would have been interesting to see how quick the fire could have been knocked down with the large tip in use. Quick knockdown none the less.

I read some comments on some other sources where the video is posted, and some said that they could of done it better. Which to me made little to no sense, as they worked as fast and hard as they could ( at least the video proves it) are there any "better" ways to deal with a situation like this?

P.S: In the beginning, it sounds like WEMS is getting dispatched :P

Edited by x4093k