Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firedude

EMS Equipment on Apparatus

12 posts in this topic

For fire departments that don’t run routine EMS calls, what type of EMS equipment, if any, do you guys keep on your rigs? Such as an AED or a BLS Bag?

Our first out engine, utility, rescue and brush truck have BLS bags. Out utility and rescue also carry AED's. But we also run two ambulances.

All of our rigs carry basic first aid jump bags, oxygen tanks and AED's. These jump bags are not full BLS jump bags. We do not run EMS so the bags are mainly for member use for minor things. R47 also has a backboard/stokes.

firedude likes this

1. does carrying a backboard, blocks and collars on an engine change its classification in any way? (gear to be used for FFs on scene, not Pt. trspt) Im fighting to put a longboard on my 1st due.

1. does carrying a backboard, blocks and collars on an engine change its classification in any way? (gear to be used for FFs on scene, not Pt. trspt) Im fighting to put a longboard on my 1st due.

I wouldn't think so.

However, my question is this: If you don't run EMS calls, and you have no EMS trained persons on your crew, what is your liability for having and not using said equipment, or attempting to use it without proper training?

Valid points Sir. We are a dual service agency and virtually all of our FFs are also EMTs. We run a BLS ambulance in addition to our Fire and Rescue apparatus. I'm looking for an actual clause that may or may not exist pertaining to this issue.

If you don't run routine EMS but you have EMS equipment, and trained members do you have to register with DOH? There are a few agencies on the Westchester Agency list that don't run EMS... (to my knowledge) They may have in the past?

post-17100-0-60613000-1332958109.png

Edited by firedude

Montrose has EMS equipment on every rig. AED, jump/O2 bag combo.

Union Vale has a BLS trauma/O2 bag, AED, Collar bag, a board and a stokes on our Rescue/Pumper, and our rescue truck has the same plus an additions BLS/O2 bag which is a backpack style bag.

Considering O2, glucose, charcoal and aspirin, metered dose inhalers, nitro, epi are all considered medication in the BLS protocols, unless you are a CFR/EMT I would ditch any of those from a BLS jump bag if it is not used by members certified to use them (not that BLS is carrying nitro, epi or mdi's.) Additionally, unless you are qualified to splint a limb or immobilize a patient using BLS equipment (backboard, collar, straps, splints, traction splint etc) I would refrain from attempting to splint any injury seeing as you can do more harm than good if it is done wrong.

I.E. unless you run as a state licensed BLS/CFR service, ditch anything that is considered a medicine or that you need special training to apply.

I wouldn't want some random firefighter who just happened to grab the jump kit trying to treat a patient, do it right or don't do it at all.

Let me finish this little statement with the belief that CPR/AED & CFR should be part of all intro firefighting courses. (and if we are adding time to FFI we might as well add FFII, Survival, AVET, FAST)

Just becasue you are a firefighter does not mean you will not be called on to treat patients. When was your last fire verse your last time seeing a patient on-scene?

firedude, 67R93 and Pagers like this

IFSAC FF1 requires a BLS for Healthcare Provider card (CPR,AED, First Aid) in order to even take the class... An AED is critical, as well as a cpr mask for every member.