Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firemoose827

Too Many Heart Attacks...

40 posts in this topic

Just signed up with Myfitnesspal...would like to hook up with others in EMTBRAVO in the program

Just signed up also. Send me a PM with your username and we can work together. Mine is the same as here, firemoose827.

Anyone else want to work with us on this? Support us? Coach us?

sueg likes this

In the past week I've had two legit MOS cardiac events. Todays death in Brooklyn is looking like another according to early reports. I cannot stress how important this topic is for everyone. If you are not in perfect shape you need to be in better shape. Every time they research the physiological impact of our jobs (EMS, PD, and Fire) we go off the charts. The first studies of stress hormones in firefighters were so far off the charts they couldn't accurately measure them.

mvfire8989 and firemoose827 like this

In the past week I've had two legit MOS cardiac events. Todays death in Brooklyn is looking like another according to early reports. I cannot stress how important this topic is for everyone. If you are not in perfect shape you need to be in better shape. Every time they research the physiological impact of our jobs (EMS, PD, and Fire) we go off the charts. The first studies of stress hormones in firefighters were so far off the charts they couldn't accurately measure them.

I was gonna mention this. It's terrible irony that we are talking about this and a cardiac incident took another brother from our ranks.

Everybody be healthy.

When all else fails, eat like a caveman, nothing processed, no oils etc.

I am also using myfitnesspal - username is mcornish1

I used it a few months ago and it is a great tool - when you actually used it. I lost weight because of it but as soon as I stopped the weight returned.

I wasn't sure where to put this topic so feel free to move it to where it belongs.

I felt this needed to be discussed openly with all of our brothers/sisters in a constructive way to hopefully prevent any future LODD's from MI's.

I for one, am extrememly overweight and have a vast family history of heart troubles and it scares me to see all of these firefighters passing from heart related issues, medical issues, or "Unknown" medical issues AFTER the call. How many LODD notices have I read lately with the firefighter passing at the station, or at home some time after the call has ended? How many have passed at the scene or at the station after responding for a call?

We need to step-up our efforts to increase physical fitness in the fire service and prevent each other from dropping with heart attacks and strokes. We need to encourage each other to improve our level of physical fitness, and start eating right.

You see grants being written for firefighting equipment, gear and trucks...but how about gym equipment for the station? It wouldnt take much to get a treadmill or bike, and some free weights at each station, Im even sure there are members out there who have the stuff lying around their homes that could store it at their station for all to use in an effort to keep everyone fit.

I want to loose weight, and I want to be there for my daughter when she graduates school, gets married and has kids of her own but its hard without help and encouragement. What does everyone else say about this issue?

Stay safe AND healthy.

You can do it just by watching what you eat and exercising; I lost over 60lbs in a 13 month period simply bye sticking to an easy diet (and there are plenty of them out there) and walking every day. You'll physically feel better and after a while you won't miss all the food you no longer eat. For me its nice being able to fit into clothes i haven't been able to wear in almost 20 years.

Myfitnesspal username is madisonmart.

Sorry everyone, I will look you all up on the myfitnesspal.com today, I have been sick a few days. I think I even lost some weight being sick for 5 days and not eating much, so maybe I got a head start.

Keep this going everyone, I see we have a few other LODD reports on these forums as well and I am scared to see what the cause was. Keep this discussion going, please and reach out to others as well. Health and fitness need to be our top priority now, not how many lights you have on your car or what you carry in your turnouts...

Stay HEALTHY and safe.

Moose