Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SRS131EMTFF

NYS BLS Pulse Oximetry Protocols

7 posts in this topic

Can anyone direct me to information regarding any NYS BLS Protocols for use of pulse oximetry? Specifically to measure oxygen saturation?

I have looked in both the NYS DOH BEMS site and the WREMSCO page and the relevant documents on each of these pages but I have not been able to find any mention of measuring oxygen saturation and pulse oximetry. I am sure it is out there in one regard or another but I just can't seem to find the document or the page.

Thanks in advance.

What are you looking for? There's nothing even for ALS dictating treatment based upon sPO2. It's a great tool to help monitor the efficacy of your therapy and to impartiality quantify the severity of a respiratory complaint. It is absolutely not a treatment indicator...yet. There's enough research on the harms of oxygen administration to begin questioning the NYS approach of high flow O2 for all. But that's for another thread.

I am not looking for treatment protocols, I am simply looking for any documents that NYS DOH BEMS or WREMSCO has put out regarding its use on patients at the BLS level.

I use it up here in VT, every patient of mine gets a pulse ox and SPO2, of course l assess for accuracy of the unit and the quality which a digital read out can not provide. Obviously if you are sating at 99% but blue or having difficulty breathing or the indication for O2 is present, of course I give it right away, but if I don't need to give you O2 why should I? Then again, if I knew you were sating at say 85% vs. 95% that would certainly change the amount of O2 I would be administering or even the administration method/route.

I guess I am simply asking, is there a protocol for pulse ox/SPO2 at the BLS level in NYS and is it wise to allow BLS crews to use individual discretion in tandem with pulse ox/SPO2 in regards to treatment decisions and oxygen administration.

In NYS a BLS unit can use and document SpO2 if allowed by the agency's medical director. As stated above, at present, there is no SpO2 based treatment. Last time I heard there was a proposed change to the NYC protocol that allowed for titration of O2 for SpO2 < 93% but nothing written in stone.

I don't have the link infront of me, but as per NYCREMSCO SpO2 is manditory for ALS, optitional for BLS.

Just check with your governing agency, your regional agency, and the state, not everything is online, just call or email.. The department I was with used a PulseOx but we were under our look Municipal EMS provider.