Guest truck12345

More Fuel Efficient Police Cruisers

42 posts in this topic

This is your new RMP, like it or not!

LOL

post-3712-0-81818200-1342539011.jpg

Does this version come with a “Police Pursuit or Interceptor” package? Four cylinders instead of the normal 3? :D
CFFD117 and JetPhoto like this

Does this version come with a “Police Pursuit or Interceptor” package? Four cylinders instead of the normal 3? :D

Yep, it tops out at a whopping 65mph. It also comes with an extra 9 volt battery for the electronics and lighting package. :D

JetPhoto likes this

I had the misfortune of have to drive the Altima at work recently. Here are two photos I took with my cell phone

First up is the trunk. As you can see, the spare tire fills most of the space. The black box in the lower front right of the picture is an AED. This car does not have a police radio mounted in it, if it did there is not much room to mount it. The rear vertical of the trunk (back of rear passenger seat contains the battery.

post-917-0-66279300-1342409130.jpg

Next photo I took from the backseat looking forward. The computer mount covers important controls in the car (there is no computer to mount to it, so it is useless). Our RMP coordinator asked about having it removed, the shops told him,

"if you can figure out how to do it without damaging the car, go ahead". Very tight with two people in there. Above the computer mount is the light/siren control to the left, and the control box for the blue LED message board mounted on the rear of the light bar. Hate to see where those are going top land if the airbags ever deploy.

you better check the engine oil while your at it capt. ha ha no purpose for that sticker to be on the glove compartment

Like what, a Prius? What are they going to use that can still carry their gear, prisoners, pursue bad guys, and not give the officer clausterphobia?

I was thinking more along the lines of a rickshaw; you'd save big on gas and put people to work. ;)

Does it come with turbo? ;-)

Yeah its called an extra hamster on Red Bull. LOL

peterose313 likes this

you better check the engine oil while your at it capt. ha ha no purpose for that sticker to be on the glove compartment

Knowing the NYPD, someone probably ran a car with no oil in it, and some boss thought these stickers were a great idea.

Did someone say Crown Vics only get an average of 7 MPG?? Even in my most aggressive driving, never got that low. I get about 15-20 on a regular basis with mixed driving - maybe that figure of 7 was a result of someone figuring in hours and hours of idling time.

Also, fun fact - I recently watched a Ford ad from 1960 - yes, 1960 - where they touted the new Falcon as getting up to 30 MPG. 30 MPG, over 50 years ago, for a four door rear wheel drive sedan. One wonders what happened to fuel efficiency technology since then...

I recently saw the first of the new Ford Taurus patrol cars here in Central FL, with the Marion County Sheriff's 0ffice. Impalas, Tahoes, Chargers, and the remaining Crown Vics are also popular around here.

Phil

Did someone say Crown Vics only get an average of 7 MPG?? Even in my most aggressive driving, never got that low. I get about 15-20 on a regular basis with mixed driving - maybe that figure of 7 was a result of someone figuring in hours and hours of idling time.

Also, fun fact - I recently watched a Ford ad from 1960 - yes, 1960 - where they touted the new Falcon as getting up to 30 MPG. 30 MPG, over 50 years ago, for a four door rear wheel drive sedan. One wonders what happened to fuel efficiency technology since then...

Police cars tend to do a lot of idling coupled with hard starts, lots of stop and go traffic (in the city) that drive down miles per gallon numbers. The hybrids we have been using tend to get about 10 miles per gallon according to the in car computers. Remember, highway mileage is always greater than city driving.

I'm not certain of the mpg of the new Taurus interceptors, but they've been popping up here in Texas. And if Carbon Motors can ever get the funding in to start production on the E7 then that could help too. They're supposed to get better mileage and cost about the sam or lesz than a typical interceptor.