Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SageVigiles

Incident Management Teams

5 posts in this topic

Just wondering if anyone in NY or NJ has set up a regional Incident Management Team and how theirs works. We have 2 or 3 in CT set up through our DEMHS Regions, just curious how, if at all, things are done differently in NY/NJ.

I know FDNY/NYPD has a Federal Type 1 IMAT Team, but I don't know who else does/doesn't have them.

Just wondering if anyone in NY or NJ has set up a regional Incident Management Team and how theirs works. We have 2 or 3 in CT set up through our DEMHS Regions, just curious how, if at all, things are done differently in NY/NJ.

I know FDNY/NYPD has a Federal Type 1 IMAT Team, but I don't know who else does/doesn't have them.

The oldest and most established team in the state is the NYS DEC Forest Rangers team. They were operating a Type 2 team but with recent retirements I'm not sure they're still organized that way. Though primarily wildfire oriented, they do all-hazard responses lately.

NYC has a Type 1 FEMA USAR task force consisting of FDNY and NYPD but they don't have a consolidated IMT. FDNY has a Type 2 All-Hazards IMT that was established about 4-5 years ago. They may be working toward type 1 designation but I'm not sure they've completed that process yet. The NYPD may be in the process of developing something but it is not yet operational.

NYS has a Type 2 IMT that was established in 2004.

Several counties in western NY have established the "Western NY Type 3 IMT" and have met or are meeting all the requirements for FEMA designation as a type 3 AHIMT.

The State OEM is currently developing five regional type 3 all-hazards IMT's following the federal model. These are going to be aligned with the SOEM regions (exclusive of NYC).

Suffolk County, Westchester County, and Orange County are all working on county-level IMT's but they're still developing. Nassau County may too be working on a county level team but they're a bit further behind (started later).

New Jersey has a type 2 team but it is primarily wildfire oriented. I'm not sure of regional or local efforts in the Garden State.

PEMO3, efdcapt115, JM15 and 1 other like this

Wow, thanks for the info Chris! Didn't realize NY had so many!

Our Communications Division has a Type III Incident Management team that is compliant with Texas OEM, TIFMAS, and FEMA standards.

We have a fleet of vehicles and trailers that make us completly self-sufficient for several days when needed, right down to radio repair. Our team has been deployed in various capacities to the various wildfires in Texas, hurricanes, tornadoes, and even to the flooding in NY last year. It is very strictly structured, and requires extensive ongoing training. We have a number of staff ready to go at any time, as well as a full time IMT staff.

Here's a great Powerpoint on the need for and how to organize an IMT team:

https://www.preparingtexas.org/Resources/documents/2010%20Hurr%20Conf%20Presentations/Texas_All-Hazard_IMT.pdf

efdcapt115 and PEMO3 like this

Our Communications Division has a Type III Incident Management team that is compliant with Texas OEM, TIFMAS, and FEMA standards.

We have a fleet of vehicles and trailers that make us completly self-sufficient for several days when needed, right down to radio repair. Our team has been deployed in various capacities to the various wildfires in Texas, hurricanes, tornadoes, and even to the flooding in NY last year. It is very strictly structured, and requires extensive ongoing training. We have a number of staff ready to go at any time, as well as a full time IMT staff.

Here's a great Powerpoint on the need for and how to organize an IMT team:

https://www.preparin...-Hazard_IMT.pdf

Nice! Thanks for the info Seth.

We have one in CT Region 2, once I get my NIMS 300 and 400 I will be able to apply for the team. With the new job I will be able to get paid to take the classes so I won't be taking a week off of work to do it. Just curious how ours compares to some others.

Currently the team has 1 "landscaper-style" trailer with rollout toolboxes for each Section (Command, Ops, Plans, Logs, Finance/Admin) as well as computers and printers for each with a few spares. Sounds like they are starting out small to figure out what they need before they really get into it. The team has a good mix of career and volunteer fire, law enforcement, EMS, OEM, as well as Yale University's OEM, Police and Security personnel. No shortage of stars and bugles at those meetings... haha.