Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
efdcapt115

Perth Amboy NJ Multi-Structure Fire 6/03/12

9 posts in this topic

Check out the video link and the stills after the story. Any thoughts on the reason why this fire consumed apparently three buildings to the foundations?

I was thinking structure proximity to exposure as a starter. Eye witness reports from experienced firemen who stated the fire was intense. I haven't looked it up, just wondering what type of FD this is, do they have hydrants, etc. Good to see there were minimal injuries.

Looks like a jet crashed into the place.

http://www.nj.com/ne..._through_f.html

Perth Amboy is a small town in a heavily populated area of New Jersey. It's south of Elizabeth and Newark, and across the water from the southern tip of Staten Island. Like the surrounding towns and cities, hydrants are the primary source of water for firefighting so I suspect the amount of damage was not the result of water supply issues.

According to its web site the Perth Amboy Fire Department has career and volunteer divisions. There's no information about the strength of the volunteer division, but the following information is provided for the career division:

"Today, the department is comprised of a Career Division of 55 full-time firefighters consisting of 41 Firefighters, 4 Captains, 4 Lieutenants, 1 Fire Chief, 1 Deputy Chief. The department responds to an average of 6,000 emergency incidents a year ranging from fires and emergency medical calls to rescue and other emergency type incidents."

http://ci.perthamboy.nj.us/perth-amboy-fire-department.html

So maybe the volume of fire was so heavy they could not generate adequate GPM to overcome it for a while.......wonder how much of a head start the fire had, what type of constructions were involved.....balloon? Truss? A little bit of both....?

I would not be surprised to find more to the story forthcoming. These were not large homes, in the sense that the loss of three would leave 50 homeless. They look rather close together so a heavy fire load, if it started in the middle house, could easily spread to the adjacent structures.

Even though Perth Amboy was able to provide a career response, given the early morning time, if it had a good start, or a helping hand, they were probably confronted with a heavy volume of fire at the outset and the initial priority to establish the whereabouts of the residents.

I was at this job. PAFD typically puts out 2 engines, a ladder, a rescue (NYPD ESU style) and a chief on first alarms. I'm not sure what their second alarm staffing is but a another engine and a ladder were closes in. Guys I spoke to describe the original fire building on fire from the side walk to the peak of the roof when they arrived. Ballon construction and biulding sperate of 2 feet at most help with the firsr spread help. Apparently their were hydrant issues when they arrived but that type of problem is not new to Perth Amboy. I wasn't too surprised with the exent of fire spread given the type of contraction. 2.5 100 year old wood balloon frame construction built feet from each other. This video from NBC News is retty good at showing condition up on arrival.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Perth-Amboy-NJ-Fire-Buildings-Collapsed-Residents-Homeless-156891495.html

Basically it went to nine alarms pretty quickly. Even companies on SI were getting calls of smoke in the area. I'll try to post some photos later tonight.

efdcapt115 likes this

Balloon construction, you can touch two houses standing in the alley with outstretched arms, and don't forget that soffett that hangs over the alley.

Sometimes it is necessary to concede a house or two and go for one down the block once you have your equipment ready for attack.

Quite often, under the pretty vinyl siding, lies what we affectionately call "gasoline siding." That's asphalt siding that was used in the era when these houses were built.

Now it's time to pull out your IFSTA Fire Behavior book and look up Radiational Feedback.

SageVigiles and efdcapt115 like this

We experienced this in my home town a few years ago right around the conrer from my volly house. There is a reason why they call that section of town "Windy Hill".

When you combine strong windys, a heavy fire load, old mill housing that are built with no more than 10 feet or less of space betweeen the strucutres equals a really bad day. We lost three houses in a row and could have lost the whole block if we didn't get there in time. From the time the first call came in to the first arriving unit about 4 minuts later, the first house was fully involved, the second house's top floor and attic was going and the third just started to catch fire. The winds just drove the fire from one house to the next. The fire started at the first house due to an improperly discarded cigarette which landed near a plastic gas can. We had five engines, two trucks and a rescue on scene for our incident (2nd alarm equivilant) a good water supply and more than enough manpower but still it was a heck of a fire-fight to contain it.

efdcapt115 likes this