Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dinosaur

Not Just the Public Sector - ConEd Union Workers Locked Out

7 posts in this topic

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/07/01/12506125-power-firm-coned-locks-out-union-workers-as-talks-stall?lite

New York power utility Consolidated Edison Inc locked out its unionized workers early on Sunday after contract talks broke down, both sides said, raising the possibility of power cuts during a summer heat wave.

The company asked to extend negotiations for two more weeks, it said, but the union, which had threatened a strike, refused. In response, the firm told union members not to report for work on Sunday.

Both sides continued talking for over an hour after the midnight Saturday deadline expired, but failed to reach a settlement over a new contract for the company's unionized workers. A major sticking point in the contract was ConEd's plan to phase out defined pensions.

I have been in a union for almost 25 years untill I retired. I also served my unions's contract negoation committee. I could remeber working 6 years with out a contract more recent 3 years. What I dont understand and of course I don't know what is going on behind closed doors but why wouldn't the union agree to keep talking? The contract expired last night. I fully understand the unions concern about the pension as that is what we all work for but I believe that they should continue to talk and work to come to an agreement. Perhaps there are some Con-Ed workers on here that can shed more light. I wish them luck.

This is the exact reason the Triboro Amendment exists in the public sector. Most Fire, Police, Corrections and other public workers go years without a contract. There is a group of politicians in NYS who want to eliminate Triboro. They claim it gives the unions too much power, but in actuallity this case shows the exact oppisite.

Edited by Bnechis
BFD1054, ny10570, islander and 1 other like this

The Triboro amendment does that include the Taylor law where if public sector union employee's went on strike it was the 2 days pay for every day you were out?

The Triboro amendment does that include the Taylor law where if public sector union employee's went on strike it was the 2 days pay for every day you were out?

Basicly. Triboro is part of Taylor, not the other way around. Taylor protects the community, and Triboro ensures labor to continue to provide the service (protect the community) while not being taken advantage of by managment.

fireboyny and BFD1054 like this

From what I have been told the union was willing to continue to talk and postpone the strike deadline by two weeks. Con Ed decided to play hard ball or in better terms union bust and go for a lockout. They claim in an interview earlier today it was in their customers best interest. How in the middle of heat wave number 2 with number 3 expected in the end of the week does locking out 8500 employees and replacing them with 5000 managers, many of which have not done more than changed a light bulb recently, equate to "in the best interest of their customers". We all know Con Ed customers pay one of the highest rates in the nation while the utility consistently runs in the black with 8+ digit profits and a CEO that earns a 8 figure salary (last report was $10,965,047 in total compensation, source: Bloomberg Businessweek)

Edited by PEMO3

HFD, there is no requirement for management to continue the terms of the contract. They could revert to minimum wage and dump all benefits until the terms of the next contract are worked out.

Triborough was added to the Taylor law after it was discovered that once the contract expired it could be argued the taylor law no longer applied. Triborough allows time for negotiations and the arbitration process.

BFD1054 likes this