Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SageVigiles

Allingtown Fire District (West Haven, CT) Takeover Complete

8 posts in this topic

West Haven Mayor John M. Picard signs papers, city takes over Allingtown Fire District

New Haven Register

July 2nd, 2012

WEST HAVEN — Mayor John M. Picard today signed documents certifying the city’s takeover of the Allingtown Fire District and renaming the department the City of West Haven Fire Department Allingtown during a ceremony in the mayor’s office at City Hall.

The signing finalized and officially marked the city’s absorption of the Allingtown Fire District, organized in 1907, and its assets and debt, which comprises a $750,000 general fund deficit and a $17.8 million unfunded pension liability, the city said in a press release.

On June 25, the City Council adopted an ordinance approving West Haven’s takeover of the independently operating fire district — one of three in the city.

The newly drafted ordinance outlines department and fire commission structure, department coverage area and employment terms, the release said.

This is a LONG battle finally finished. There are still 2 independent Fire Districts operating in West Haven, both with much larger pension liability, but they don't have the issues with passing budgets that we at had in Allingtown. Some people are hoping the other 2 districts follow the same path, but I'm not holding my breath for that just yet. Its a step in the right direction.

So, this means that the WHFD paid FD will take over Allingtown, or will it still be run by volunteers.

So, this means that the WHFD paid FD will take over Allingtown, or will it still be run by volunteers.

Actually neither. The agency everyone knows as "West Haven Fire Department" is actually titled the First Fire Taxation District of West Haven (in the city we just call it Center District) So that's where a lot of the confusion is. The Center District is actually not an agency of the city government, nor is the West Shore District. Both departments are independent districts operated by their own elected Boards of Fire Commissioners and their own Chiefs, Fire Marshals, etc. Its a massive confusing mess.

We used to have 3 separate districts/departments each running at a different tax rate, different command structure, etc. None of which reported to the city government. As of today Allingtown is no longer a Fire District, but a department of the city. Our department will only cover the section that used to be covered by the Allingtown District and only those residents will be taxes for its services.

The volunteers will remain being called the Allingtown Volunteer Fire Association. The article is actually incorrect, the AVFA was founded in 1907, the district wasn't actually founded until 1909. We are a separately chartered organization with our own Chief, but we fall under the command of the career department. We're actually the only volunteer fire agency in the city with a Chief.

In addition to what Alex said, all three fire districts (Center First Taxation, former Allingtown and West Shore) were all created before West Haven was incorporated a township in 1921. Prior to this, West Haven was part of Orange with some of the northern sections part of New Haven. The what is now the Center District FD pretty much encompassed the old borough boundaries of West Haven proper and that fire department was established around 1888. I believe the Center fire department was originally sponsored by the West have Borough government up until it was dissolved and West Haven became a town, thus the creation of the present fire district to fund it, this I have to research better.

Allingtown Fire District was created in 1909 (two years after the formation of the volunteer fire association to help pay for their operations) and West Shore around 1912. If my history is correct, full-time paid staffing didn't start until the 1940s, I am unsure and have to check this, in the districts.

When West Haven was incorporated a town, there was no need for the town charter to support a fire department since there were 3 fire districts covering the area withing the town boundaries. Same thing during the 1960s when West Haven was granted a city charter (town and city consolidated by CT state law) no provisions were added to the charter to establish a "city-wide" fire department since the three districts were in existence. Plus the demographics of West Haven have changed greatly over the years were original all three "villages" so to speak were considered a great distance from each other in the early days.

Actually Izzy, it went a little further than that, there was actually a provision in the City Charter forbidding the City of West Haven from operating a fire department. A charter revision was proposed a few years back to change that, and the revision passed, which is why the city was legally permitted to absorb the Allingtown District.

Its been quite the spectacle of political theater to watch this all unfold. I'm just happy the career guys in Allingtown won't have to worry as much as they did in the past about the security of their jobs. Its a small department (Chief, Deputy, 4 Captains, 5 FF/Paramedics, 11 Firefighter/EMTs) with only 5 guys on per shift, so losing anybody would have been a big hit to the safety of the community.

Oh, and the new ordinance does protect the Allingtown Volunteers in that our building, apparatus, equipment, etc. cannot be taken over by the new Board of Fire Commissioners. Since we're chartered separately, we don't really fall under their authority. It also authorizes the Board of Fire Commissioners to provide funding to the Volunteer Association, it sounds like it will be the same as past practice as far as we're concerned.

Good luck to all of you in the Allingtown Volunteer Fire - er, the City of West Haven Fire Department Allingtown. I know that you have been working hard to maintain training and cover your district, and have faith that you will continue to do so, hopefully making it easier with the City support. Keep us posted, and glad you have your Charter protection to prevent takeover of your resources by the new Board of Fire Commissioners. Hopefully they can straighten out the general fund deficit and pension liability issues in due time, making everyone's life a little easier.

FFPCogs likes this

I'll second Sueg and wish Allingtown FD the best as this new chapter in their history unfolds.

sueg likes this