Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AndyC3J

R.I.P. Ernest Borgnine

6 posts in this topic

Numerous news sources are reporting that the great actor Ernest Borgnine passed away this afternoon at the age of 95.

While he had other more famous roles, I always remember him as Sheriff "Dirty Lyle" Wallace, the nemesis of Kris Kristofferson's Rubber Duck character in "Convoy".

Rest in peace, sir.

sfrd18 and SageVigiles like this

Numerous news sources are reporting that the great actor Ernest Borgnine passed away this afternoon at the age of 95.

While he had other more famous roles, I always remember him as Sheriff "Dirty Lyle" Wallace, the nemesis of Kris Kristofferson's Rubber Duck character in "Convoy".

Rest in peace, sir.

Don't forget Mermaid Man on Spongebob!!!!

Ernest Borgnine was truly a one of a kind actor and one of the last of the "greats" of Hollywood's Golden era.

I remember him for his more prominent roles, when he played the tough guy, like as the man who tried to run Spencer Tracy off the road in Bad Day at Black Rock, as the tough U.S. Army Sgt. "Fatso" Judson who beat Frank Sinatra's character to death in From Here to Eternity, and as U.S. Army General Worden in The Dirty Dozen and it's sequels.

Ernie will also be remembered for his television shows, such as McHale's Navy with Tim Conway, and in Airwolf, as well as many movies and other TV shows.

Only winning one Oscar in his long career as an actor, I personally will most remember him for his role in which he won it: as the lovable Bronx butcher in 1955's Marty. In the opinion of Burt Lancaster that I whole-heartedly agree with, Marty is perhaps the simplest, most beautiful love story ever in a movie.

Rest in peace, Ernie. He lived a very long life as a great actor and a gentleman. He was one of my favorite actors and will truly be missed.

borgnine-bw.jpg

In the movie "MARTY" he talks about Port Chester many times. His freind lives there and he is going to take the train to meet her ! R.I.P. Ernest P.S.. last week we lost the Sherrif and now the "skip" PT Boat

sfrd18 likes this

In the movie "MARTY" he talks about Port Chester many times. His freind lives there and he is going to take the train to meet her ! R.I.P. Ernest P.S.. last week we lost the Sherrif and now the "skip" PT Boat

Yeah, Marty's girl was going to take a teaching job in Port Chester, and Marty assures her that she will make friends there, and that he will visit her.

Amazing how things have changed since then. Just looking at the places in the Bronx where they shot the movie on location, it's hard to believe it was ever like it was in the movie.

The opening shot was filmed on Arthur Ave. in the Bronx's Little Italy. If anyone is familiar with it, it was shot right near Mario's Restaurant, which was there at the time. Except for the trees and the direction of the traffic, not much has changed in 57 years.

Anyhow, Marty is a great classic movie.

PCFD ENG58 likes this

Not only was he a great actor and a great man, he served as a Gunner's Mate in the U.S. Navy from 1935 to 1945, participating in the D-Day Invasion.

He was awarded the U.S. Navy Memorial's Lone Sailor Award in 1997, and was made an Honorary Chief Petty Officer in 2004.

Fair Winds and Following Seas, My Brother!

x4093k and sfrd18 like this