Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sailr322

New York State Sheriffs Association Yellow Dot Program

11 posts in this topic

http://www.nysheriffs.org/yellowdot

"Yellow Dot is a free program designed to help first responders provide life-saving medical attention during that first “golden hour” after a crash or other emergency."

A free, and potentially lifesaving, program that the New York State Sheriffs Association offers. How many people where you work do you think will take advantage of this?

Edited by Sailr322

Great idea, but ICE didn't catch on and neither will this.

Great idea, but ICE didn't catch on and neither will this.

Are you referring to the function that most cell phone providers offer?

I hate to be the wet blanket at the party but while I am sure this is a good idea it is also an invitation to crime. Based on the information stored on the card in the glove box, and I would love to know how much info is placed there, this simple yellow dot could be a billboard for would be criminals to create identity theft from the card info or falsely notify family members of a persons fictitious mishap to gain secure personal information for the same following a simple vehicle break in and accessing the card.

Sailr322 and JetPhoto like this

Assuming the state sheriffs aren't complete idiots the info in there wouldn't be that useful. Home address is already on your registration and insurance cards. An emergency contact name and phone number, medications, allergies, and medical conditions is pretty benign info. If they're breaking into your car, crank phone calls aren't really that profitable and generally not a priority for car thieves.

ny10570, I can understand and appreciate your train of thought but it is just that train of thinking that would create a scenario that someone will profit from. Sometimes you have to think outside the box to see the possibilities of what something is capable of. Agreed the everyday car thief is not out there to get the Yellow Dot card and your address is on your reg and insurance card but lets face it people have been robbed while out to dinner while the valet use their own keys to enter their homes, nobody ever expected the internet to be used for cybercrime but it has and the list goes on. So to say the info is benign and the lets assume the state sheriffs are not idiots is a reaching statement. No one is saying they are idiots, just sometimes when developing what seems like a good idea we get tunnel vision and do not see the other possible areas that could pose a problem or a risk. Like I said in the start of my original post, I do not know and would love to see what information these cards contain beyond what is found on your normal driver ID. If these cards save even one life they are worth it but if they create a criminal avenue then that risk needs to be weighed carefully. Maybe a bar coded or encoded card is needed which they may very well be.

The people being robbed by valets were handing over their house keys with their car keys. People programing their actual home address into their GPS have also gotten into trouble. People getting their identity stolen are handing over sensitive information. I'm not saying leave your DOB, social, and checking account number in there. My comment about the sheriffs not being stupid is I'm hoping they would not ask for sensitive info on that card. Personally my registration and insurance cards are copies with my address blacked out.

Unless the state is going to hand out and replace scanners you will have a system that few citizens use and even fewer agencies can read.

This sounds just like the "Vile of Life" program that was tried about 20-25 years ago. Same concept....sticker at the front door...plastic vile in the refrigerator with all medical info......

That program didn't catch on either.

The problem with in the car or in the home storage is there are multiple people that use the car or live in the house. The first responder has to first verify the people involved and then judge if the info is up to date. Most people who need to have there info available use the medical alert bracelet or necklace. These people are usually good about keeping their info current with medical alert and on their wallet cards.

PEMO3 likes this

The problem with in the car or in the home storage is there are multiple people that use the car or live in the house. The first responder has to first verify the people involved and then judge if the info is up to date. Most people who need to have there info available use the medical alert bracelet or necklace. These people are usually good about keeping their info current with medical alert and on their wallet cards.

While I agree that there is a lack of use with other programs and the medical alert bracelets and necklaces are far more used, it seems to me that they have thought the idea of multiple people using the same car through as well as a quick and fool proof way to identify who is who.

1. Complete both sides of the personal information card as fully as possible, in pencil. Attach a recent photo of yourself and place it in a visible location in your car’s glove compartment.
  2. Complete one card for each person who regularly occupies the vehicle. See below to request additional medical information forms

Those are the direct steps that the New York State Sheriffs Association tells those using the Yellow Dot Program to follow if they choose to it in their car or home.

sueg likes this

If everyone would just keep that info in their purse or wallet none of this ice, yellow dot, etc junk would be necessary. Do yourselves a favor. Emergency contact, med history, allergies and medications. Date it, update it as needed, and burry it in your wallet. I will find it when I pick your pocket, I promise.

PEMO3, NurseMedic and firedude like this

Local trauma center down my way is pushing the same program. 6 months in and I haven't seen a car with the Yellow Dot yet,...