Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Skooter92

New forum proposal....Please read!!!

17 posts in this topic

I emailed EMTBravo with a suggestion for a new forum recently, and I'd like to know from the members if it's something we should pursue. They say an army travels on it's stomach; much the same can be said for EMS/Fire/Law enforcement. We're out at all hours, in all kinds of weather, doing our jobs (whether paid or volunteer; hunger don't discriminate!!) and we appreciate our chow as much or more than Citizen Joe Bag O' Donuts. I'd like to create a forum with three threads (maybe more-you tell me!):

Thread 1) Street Eats:Where to Go-this would be a positive forum for us street monsters to share good stops and selections that help us make a shift a little brighter.

Thread 2) In The Kitchen-a place to share recipes whether for feeding 250 hungry comrades, or for a nice romantic dinner for two

Thread 3) Off-Duty Dining-this thread would cover all the places we love to go but aren't really on-duty dining material.

Please give me your feedback and suggestions!

That just might be a good idea--Ya gotta eat right?!?

Sounds like a pretty good idea especially since the food threads seemed to do well before they died off. Now they sit collecting dust in the bowels of the Lounge somewhere - where new members might not as easily find them. Making a seperate forum for just food would make it easier to find, but of course has the (albeit minor) side effect of adding yet another forum to a main screen that is quickly filling up.

I'd suggest another topic which I've always found a little humorous. We can call it "The Dashboard Gourmet". Dedicated to all those EMS/Fire/Police/etc personnel who have had to sit on post and eat lunch in the few minutes between calls. We can include unique recipes from people who have found ways to "rough it" with few cooking resources available. "Engine Block Grilled Cheese" would be the first I'd add. :D

I really like this cool idea, and I think it has potential.

But I'm worried about the board having too many sections and getting difficult to naviagte....one member has already expressed this concern. If this forum is added, will this be an issue???

As far as the food while working goes, too bad we don't get meals or even time to grab something while working the bus...right Skooter?? LOL

As a NYCDEP employee I work an 8 hour shift albeit 0700 to 1500 but there is no meal break so yeah I would like to see this addition and no, Seth I don't think it would be a major problem.As WAS967 stated it definitely has the potential for newer members to find things otherwise buried somewhere in the lounge.

I like food.

Did you want more feedback.

Also sorry I'm on a suggestion free diet today.

I like food.  

Did you want more feedback.  

Also sorry I'm on a suggestion free diet today.

I told 60 Control to keep you busy until 0000, not 2300. You can always tell when you are on a job, lol!!!!

Sorry for my diversion, Now back to the topic at hand....

Wasn't food the topic? Sounds good to me

I think it would fit better under "commincations"

After all, we are cullinary experts! (Some experts at creating, others at consuming!) #-o

I think it's a great idea! Where to get that 3 AM burger? What to cook when all you have to work with are the leftovers from the last meeting. How to feed the crew when working a 6 hour fire?

....how to make beer with a used Nitro bottle, some D50, some left over wheat germ, and.....oh never mind....you don't wanna know where the yeast comes from..... :|

We've seen (and smelled!) you after one of those overnights, there........no secret where yer getting the yeast from....!

Sounds like a cool idea...is there a way you can put it as a sub-category to "The Lounge"?

I think the most appropriate home would be in The Lounge as well. So far, just about all the feedback received has been positive. Anyone else?

I agree with only one section. I think it would add too much clutter if we did all three. I'm down with ONE section.

If/When/If we decide to upgrade to the new version of PHPBB when it is released, there will be many new features, inlcuding subforums. That means, you will click on "The Lounge", and then goe to a menu of sub-categories, such as "Street Eats"

But that's a ways off. For now, it will be a TRIAL forum in "The Lounge" section. Skooter92 developed the idea, and will be the moderator. If he wants a co-moderator, it's up to him.

You guys wanted this forum, so make it work. I'll give it a while to see how it works. As far as the threads suggested by Skooter and WAS, make those sticky running threads.

Thanks to Skooter and everybody on this thread for their input.