87D124

Mobile application allows first responders to use smartphones as "virtual radios"

4 posts in this topic

http://raytheon.medi...?s=43&item=2156

Raytheon mobile application allows first responders to use PCs, tablets and smartphones as "virtual radios"

New application to be demonstrated at APCO event

MARLBOROUGH, Mass., Aug. 20, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Raytheon Company (NYSE: RTN) has developed a mobile application for PCs, tablets and smartphones that allows first responders to interact and communicate without the use of land mobile radios (LMRs). As a part of Raytheon's Interoperability Communications Suite, this new mobile application allows authorized personnel to use tablets and smartphones as "virtual radios."

Edited by jack10562

Going to be awhile before I'll trust adding any additional steps, equipment or technology when it comes to emergency comms. While hey extend range, the repeater systems I'm familiar with are for more prone to issues than simplex radio, never mind simplex or repeater pair synched to cellular. I could just be old...

"this new mobile application allows authorized personnel to use tablets and smartphones as "virtual radios."

How do you control "authorized"? I can see hacking issues with this.

SageVigiles and Atv300 like this

Same here Barry, a lot of issues. We have problems already with people trying to jam up frequencies with just a two-way. It would be interesting to see if the FCC really goes for this.