Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SmokeyJoe

Ex-Irvington firefighter wants to create 2nd fire company in village

101 posts in this topic

Maybe some one can clear this up for me? Who's in charge when you have two parallel organizations that cover the same membership? I'm pretty certain that on my job, not only would the person responsible for harassing another be disciplined but any or all of those officers whom granted tacit approval by their failure to enforce policy, laws and rules would also be disciplined. This is another example of a significant difference between career and non-career FD's. While I'm sure some non-career dept's provide supervisory training, my guess is that far less actually do and a percentage of those that do give the bare minimum, while some career FD's may follow the same, many (most I'm familiar with) require far more supervisory training and testing. This makes it clear who's required to do what and eliminates the "we didn't know" excuses.

Point of order: while I've had countless hours or supervisory practices, sensitivity training, diversity training, legal issues for supervisors, etc, etc, ad nauseum, when it comes right down to it, I already knew what was right and what was wrong as I'm sure most of us do, those that don't should not be given authority over anyone.

Very good points. It sounds like there is a real problem that has not yet been fixed. Where was the chief in all of this?

jruff04 likes this

Having gone through my own personal hell, I feel for this brother firefighter. When the powers that be have an agenda, you as an individual are fighting a very steep uphill battle. I still suffer the effects of my experience and the people responsible are still in charge. It is just all around sad. I was only one of 3 individuals pushed away at the time (including an FDNY instructor), but many other walked away as well.

Pedro911 likes this

The Chief upon hearing the complaint brought the complaint to the Village Administrator as he is responsible for investigating the EEO complaints. I believe there is a link to the report in the journal news article. As for the company I guess they decided to follow the villages findings. I guess the Company Officers felt the suspension the village came down with was enough? Remember The Company elects the Chief and the Chief is only one vote when an item is brought to the floor for a vote!

CFI609D likes this

I have personally worked with Nick and he is a great guy and very dedicated. This really is a loss for Irvington.

Pedro911 and SageVigiles like this

Hang on boys and girls, here we go again:

http://www.integrityforirvington.org/

While I think the whole requirement for membership in the company to serve in the department is outdated B.S. I think it is great he found a way within the confines of existing law to find a solution. Good Luck.

Pedro911 likes this

I don't think that Chief Flynn hates volunteers necessarily.

I believe that he expects firefighters and fire departments to be responsible and accountable for their actions. I think he doesn't think that we should accept BS excuses why volunteer agencies shouldn't be held to high standard of professionalism. I think he believes that fire departments should have a certain degree of transparency to the citizens they protect. I think he believes that firefighters should be properly trained and equipped to do the job and should be willing to do ALL of the parts of their job, not just the glamorous parts.

And I think I agree.

lets join the yonkers volunteer FD,we can save tax payers money,how abt that ,

lets join the yonkers volunteer FD,we can save tax payers money,how abt that ,

Sure, right after you explain to me what the hell that post has to do with anything we've been talking about.

I have to say, Nick's website provides an incredibly detailed explanation of his side of the story. Taking what he says at face value, because I haven't seen any explanation from IVFD, it sounds like he makes a great point. If all you want to do is respond to calls, why do you have to join both of these organizations and not just the Firematic side?

Pedro911, 16fire5 and SmokeyJoe like this

Sure, right after you explain to me what the hell that post has to do with anything we've been talking about.

I have to say, Nick's website provides an incredibly detailed explanation of his side of the story. Taking what he says at face value, because I haven't seen any explanation from IVFD, it sounds like he makes a great point. If all you want to do is respond to calls, why do you have to join both of these organizations and not just the Firematic side?

Good questions...where's the answer?