Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
moggie6

Braun ambulances

6 posts in this topic

Anyone ever dealt with Braun? What's been your experiences with them? And has anyone seen this ambulance in a crash? Thanks for the info and help.

x635 likes this

Braun has 7 different models of ambulances, and I would assume every one holds up differently in collision....

I like Braun, I feel they are really innovative and progressive. Braun always has features that make them distinct and unique, and you know it's a Braun.Things like their sliding side door, bowed roof, and ample patient compartment lighting are some of them.

They were really popular in Westchester in the late 1990's, but you don't see them around much anymore. I think a lot of that has to do with the dealer support at the time. Greenburgh and Port Chester are still loyal users though. And major cities, such as Boston and Chicago, are current Braun customers.

I've seen photos of Braun modules in a collision and know of a couple, and they hold up decent, IMO. About par with other manufacturers.

I really loved the Braun "slopeside", that model was really laid out well. They don't make that model anymore, but I hear good things about the Signature series.

I have tons of photos of various Braun ambulances, let me know if you need any.

Brauns are very good ambulances. Depending on what the need is depends on what you should look at. I have worked in many Brauns Peekskill VAC runs 3, CCVAC has 1 which is currently up for sale. Currently looked at the signature series nice truck not enough interior lighting. I must say the new chevy chasis do not fancy me. I'm a ford guy and will always love the fords.

Westfield12 and x635 like this

Braun is a great rig, Milan Rescue Squad has a 2010 with the sliding door. We had one minor issue when they first got it but we called the dealer he was there the next morning and had it back in service by mid day. Other then that its roomy and very comfortable ride. When we first got it a few up us took the time to strap into the stretcher and take a ride to see from a patients perspective and on the stretcher there was little impact when the rig hit bumps and there is plenty of storage space. We went from a horton that we had no room and when we switched everything over we thought we missed things because of the room we had. And they offer a lot of different assecories, one of my favorite is the ability to communicate with the driver and change the patient status on a screen and alert the driver without causing a panic. If you want I can get some pictures and upload them for you. Let me know

x635 likes this

We had a couple at Empress. Like every other rig, we beat the living B-Jezus out of them for every inch of their lives. They took it like a champ- in particular when we drove one into a parking structure that was just a tad too low. We thanked them by not buying any more of them.

Your post strikes a sore spot for me. Ambulances and motor home are the only two passenger carrying vehicles in the US with NO crash safety standards. No seat belt strength requirements. No rules on strength of the cot mount. You could build (the modular part) of an ambulance out of ice cream sticks and cardboard. If it had enough ceiling height and could be heated and cooled, it would be legal. Once you get 20 horizontal centimeters behind the seats, federal regulation ends. Do a search for "ambulance crash" on the image section of any search engine and see how ambulances dis-intigrate.

Much of this come from here: http://objectivesafety.net/ A site dedicated to ambulance safety. Apparently OSHA considers ambulances to be vehicles, which they do not regulate. The Society of Automotive Engineers (The SAE you see on motor oil) makes standards for vehicles, but they consider ambulances as workplaces and don't regulate them.

Sorry for the long winded answer, but like I said, it is a sore point for me. Last few years one local EMT dead and two severly injured in one car ambulance crashes.

MoFire390 and x635 like this