SageVigiles

Spy Shot - New Haven Fire Department Car 44 (Ex Fox 1)

6 posts in this topic

I took the picture with my iPad, but the information came from Mike Leary, a well known Fire Photographer in CT. Unfortunately I do not have a "before" shot to show you, but just take my word for it.

This 1970 International / Ansul was originally quartered with Engine 16 (Lighthouse Point) and was moved to Tweed-New Haven Airport when they first had firefighters on staff there. Its original designation was Fox 1. Tweed has gotten some much more modern apparatus since then and it was taken out of service a while ago.

Sometime last year it was brought to NHFD's shops last year sometime to be refurbished. I saw it when I was down at the Fire School for a live burn and it was in sad shape. I don't believe the NHFD mechanics did the paint or striping but there was a lot of body/mechanical work to be done. Since the refurb the rig has been renumbered as Car 44 and its currently quartered in the Training Support Building at the New Haven Fire School along with the NHASH Team Prime Mover and Decon Trailer. It may be relocated later on but no details as to where yet.

I carries somewhere in the area of 400-500lbs of Purple K Dry Chem. Personally I think it came out pretty awesome.

post-5878-0-59385400-1350159864.jpg

Edited by SageVigiles

Alex, you know quoting Mike will cost you a beer or some wings from Archie's! :D

Deal, New Haven Archie's is pretty much within stumbling distance of the new apartment. You're welcome to join, first round's on me!

x4093k likes this

I was down there is January when it was still yellow, and the crew in the shop were going over their plans.

I will look for some old pictures pre-reno.

That thing is BadA$$! I want to drive it lol. Looks to be in great shape for its age.

Alex, thanks for sharing the pics. Also, be careful of offering up the 1st round, ya never know who will show up lol!