Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
61MACKBR1

Rye - Civil Disturbance - 10/20/12 - Discussion

9 posts in this topic

Although my opinion may not be shared by others on this forum, but this terrific long time rivalry between Rye High School and Harrison High School, has been a classic for many many years. The players on the winning team has traditionally taken a "Dip" into the creek next to Nugent Field at Rye High School.

This year's event, to which Harrison High School snapped Rye's winning streak, was marred by "some individuals" who thought that by causing mischief and fighting, was the thing to do, because either they did not like the Harrison Players taking the "Traditional Dip In The Creek" OR was coming to the defense of the Harrison players. These individuals simply took the fun and excitement out of what was a great game.

No matter what Team Alliance the individuals were sided towards, each and every person found to be fighting or causing a civil disturbance, should be locked up in the County Jail in Valhalla, for the rest of this weekend, among the general population, without any chance of getting bailed out until late this evening (Sunday).

Maybe then, will these individuals learn some "Scared Straight" sense, and others might think twice about doing any stupid things like this in the future. Until then, these kids will continue to do stupid things like this and their parents will continue to bail their kids out and just give them a slap on the wrist.

SageVigiles likes this

3 JV players from Ossining were sent to the hospital after being attack by 15-20 kids from Ossining after the Varisty game where Sleepy Hollow snapped a 9 Game losing streak. So what did they do? They canceled the JV game between the two.

3 JV players from Ossining were sent to the hospital after being attack by 15-20 kids from Ossining after the Varisty game where Sleepy Hollow snapped a 9 Game losing streak. So what did they do? They canceled the JV game between the two.

Yes, they canceled the game. What's your point?

There was a volatile situation with the potential for even more problems and injuries and they mitigated it by canceling the game. This is not the first time nor will it be the last time that high school sports is impacted by the actions of some troublemakers.

Hopefully they allow the game to be played at a later date with no fans or fanfare at a neutral site. Just the players, coaches, and refs so the game can be played by those who were not involved and enjoy their sport. This has been done before and will probably continue to be done when problems like this arise.

Cancelling (or better yet Postponing) the JV Game was the right move. True, play it with NO FANS ALLOWED

Again, lock up every single person (Adult or Kid) found guilty of fighting, without any chance (for the kids) to be bailed out by their rich parents

There was a volatile situation with the potential for even more problems and injuries and they mitigated it by canceling the game. This is not the first time nor will it be the last time that high school sports is impacted by the actions of some troublemakers.

Hopefully they allow the game to be played at a later date with no fans or fanfare at a neutral site. Just the players, coaches, and refs so the game can be played by those who were not involved and enjoy their sport. This has been done before and will probably continue to be done when problems like this arise.

I was at the game and the celebration afterwards. I did not see any fights. The Harrison players were celebrating by jumping in the creek after the game, an annual tradition. There were a couple of hundred Harrison fans lining the banks of the creek and the bridge over it cheering them on. I think the problem is that Rye has won the last 8 or 9 games in this rivalry and this crop of Rye players and fans are not used to seeing someone else celebrate in "their" creek. Tensions were running high and Rye PD wanted to clear the area around the creek before something bad did happen. Police from several departments were called in to assist Rye with helping to clear the school grounds.

helicopper likes this

My point is for once I would like for someone to take a stand and maybe beef up security and let the other kids play instead of always giving in to a bunch of hooligans. Right away the first reaction is to cancel the "event" for safety concerns. Well why not do just the opposite in cases like this to send a message saying were not going to tolerate this kind of nonsense anymore. Problem with these kids nowadays is that they understand that they can pull this kind of crap and get away with it.

My point is for once I would like for someone to take a stand and maybe beef up security and let the other kids play instead of always giving in to a bunch of hooligans. Right away the first reaction is to cancel the "event" for safety concerns. Well why not do just the opposite in cases like this to send a message saying were not going to tolerate this kind of nonsense anymore. Problem with these kids nowadays is that they understand that they can pull this kind of crap and get away with it.

It's not always the kids. I am the parent of a college baseball player and after many years of watching my son play sports from little league up I have found that in many cases it is the parents who start many of the problems. They simply can not stand losing.

helicopper likes this

I was at the Ossining game. Security was very heavy and well above the norm for a typical game. The game was a little chippy but that was to be expected from a rivalry. The crowd, however, was perfectly fine. There was nothing out of the ordinary to provoke such an event later on. The Village Mayor of Ossining was even in attendance with his husband. I've been to games that were a lot more chippy and the crowd would be a lot rowdier.

Beefed up security should have been for the JV game they canceled, as far as the V game it was fine, as Pete said we have seen worse. And I happen to agree as a former coach the "parent coaches" are the worse when it comes to a kids game!!!