Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

poss. plane down in peekskill water front...???

12 posts in this topic

heard report from 60 that poss. plane down in peekskill, poss. in water off of water front green?..anyone confirm? 8)

scanner nut, i had started a post on this, but deleted it shortly thereafter. Numerous Fire and Police agencies from Westchester & Rockland were involved/dispatched. It turned out to be an extremely low flying aircraft that was reported by eyewitnesses to have possibly gone down. As per kayackers on the water who witnessed the plane, it did NOT go down.

thyanx BFD!

Unfortunatly low flying planes in this area aren't uncommon. I've heard multiple reports in years past of planes flying low over the river and flying under the Bear Mountain Bridge and the Hi-Tension wires connecting Indian Point with the grid in Rockland. One day there is going to be a major accident. Hopefully the FAA is looking into the incident. Side note too: I don't think it is active anymore but there used to be (and is still marked on some maps) a seaplane port just off Verplank near the pier. I think the signs/markers there both on sore and just off are related. Anyone with additional info on that? (Curious for historical purposes).

I used to live in verplank, back in the mid 90's..and yes there was a sea plane port- on Riverview ave, called the Peekskill seaplane Base. HTH

If I remember my aviation, under the bridge is not only illegal but if caught the pilot FAA pulls the pilots license.

I wonder if this was the same plane that crashed on Coney island?????

The crash was earlier in the day. The incident on the Hudson was late in the day.

60-control was notified by Rockland 44-Control who switched over to 46.26 for the notification. This was at about 18:30 hrs. Immiediately Verplank, Montrose, and Peekskill were dispatched for marine units to respond to the Bear Mountain Bridge area. County Car 2 also responded. It was unknown at that time if the plane had crashed. It was interesting to hear 44 control on 46.26, and with pretty much perfect radio reception from at least Northern Westchester. I wonder if they have a link to WC's towers? Otherwise they have a pretty good transmission range.

Here was the info that i had, but decided not to post....

Date: 05-21-05

Time: 1837hrs

Frequency: 46.26

Units: Verplanck Car 2491, 2491, Peekskill FD E134, Stony Point FD (Rockland County Dept. 18) 18-1, 18-2, 18-Marine, County-Car 2 (West.), Continental Village R39

Description: Reported Aircraft down

Writer: BFD1054

1838hrs-Rockland 44-6 reporting as per witnesses, reported low-flying plane, no confirmation on whether it went into the water, Westchester units advised of same, Rockland units checking the area.

1851hrs-Update: As per Peekskill FD Officer, witnesses reporting possible smoke in the area of Roa Hook Rd. (off of Bear Mountain Bridge Rd.) immediately after seeing the low-flying plane. Peekskill FD E134, Peekskill PD & County Car-2 staging at the Riverfront Green, City of Peekskill riverfront

1858hrs-Montrose FD Marine-51 requested

1900hrs-Cars 2271 & 2272 10-17

1901hrs-Marine-51 has been launched. As per kayaker’s, there was a plane that flew approximately 20-feet above the water, but did not go in.

1906hrs-MFD Car 2271 10-19. As per Peekskill PD Car 250 (Sgt.), witnesses are reporting to Annsville Creek. Car 255 being detailed to meet them there

WAS...yes there is/was a seaplane port in Verplanck. As scanner nut stated, it is located on Riverview Ave. between the Viking Marina & Steamboat Dock. I don't believe it is active anymore, however i did notice a seaplane in the yard down there the other day. I'll have to ask around to find out for sure though. It used to be pretty cool to see them out on the river when i was younger.

Unleashed, i always receive Rockland County very clear over my scanner. But they definately were coming in great during this incident, even their County Cars were very audible. I was definately impressed to hear how quickly & efficiently this was handled & how well Westchester & Rockland units worked together.

I have also heard many stories of small planes flying under the Bear Mountain Bridge & Con Edison High Tension lines. But this the first time i have ever heard of any incident such as this one. Its a terrible thing to think of, but unfortunately this could be a tragedy waiting to happen. Hopfully the FAA will step up to the plate on this one & do a complete investigation.

Between Coney Island, Bear Mtn and New Fairfield, that is three local small airplane incidents inside of 3 or 4 days. I realize the Bear Mtn thing was almost considered a "non-incident", but something did happen. Wonder why all this is happening at once? Does anyone else remember a time when there was this much aviation related rescue in a short amount of time?

mstrang your right there was a lot of aircraft related calls those few days.