Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
babhits16

Broad Channel VFD

15 posts in this topic

One of the volunteer departments operating in NYC on the island of Broad Channel, is another department who lost everything. Members of the department put together a video about what their going through sand what has happened. I found it to be really powerful, everyone watch this. Link to video below.

Edited by babhits16
eng41hurst, firedude, x4093k and 1 other like this

Are there any city-based FD/EMS resources in Broad Channel?

FDNY Resources in Area:

FDNY*EMS Station 47 (Rockaway Station)

FDNY Engine 266 (Rockaway Beach Station) and Engine 331/Ladder 173 (Howard Beach Station)

Map of FDNY EMS Stations: http://www.nycfire.n...dny/ems/staions

Map of Queens FD Stations: http://www.nycfire.net/qnfiremap

Edited by firedude

i posted in another forum page about broad channel and west hamilton beach and there needs. yes there town, there homes and everything they know and love is gone. i have asked anyone who reads this please look into your dept for equipment that we can send to them. they are a great bunch of guys and super dedicated to the fire dept and ems in there community.

THEY NEED:

hand tools

scott packs

power tools ( all types)

k-12

hurst tools

hand lights and chargers

turnout gear

water rescue equip

tons of EMS stuff to stock there ambulances

yes!!! they need 2 new ambulances

and the list will go on

think about every tool you have on a engine and a truck and they need it.

many of the people who read these post are from fire depts with tons of extras and have good equip sitting in the basement not being used. speak to your chiefs and see what you can send to them. THEY WOULD DO IN FOR US!! NO QUESTIONS ASKED. I CAN SAY IT BECAUSE I KNOW THEM

in the time to come they may need even more help rebuilding the firehouse, i hope many of you will come down and help them

ANY DONATIONS ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE PM ME AND I WILL GET IN TOUCH WITH YOU

Moving video. I don't mean to sound like a dick, but they didn't say where to send the stuff to help them.

Does anyone know?

I wish the best and hope they rebuild and we hear some good news about them very soon. Indeed a moving video. Thank you for sharing.

Moving video. I don't mean to sound like a dick, but they didn't say where to send the stuff to help them.

Does anyone know?

IF YOU HAVE EQUIP YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEND DOWN PLEASE PM ME i have all the info and i am also collecting it to bring down to them, thank you

Guys, there are hundreds of FEMA trailers packed with stuff at Floyd Bennet Field. The Chief of these departments needs to request it. If FEMA is refusing to give them stuff then OFPC (DHSES) needs to be contacted. There is equipment other than WMD trailers stock piled that maybe helpful.

Broad Channel obviously needs a "loaner" rig before they need handlights. I say loaner because an upstate FD was not going to be reimbursed for their rescue after it was totalled initially because they were given one. The donating department had to provide "terms" to the loan.

Also I already saw new equipment from a vendor being delivered at some firehouses. These guys can work out special terms with a vendor and have all new equipment faster than guy from upstate can take a collection of unwanted junk and get it delivered.

What I have seen is that they need help. Help gutting their homes and getting their lives back. They pay the taxes already, so make the city step up and provide protection. Men you have done a great job, take a rest and let someone else pick up the burden for a little while.

JFLYNN, helicopper and SageVigiles like this

Sleepy Hollow FD is in the process of donating there 1991 E One Pumper to the Department

That's awesome!

IzzyEng4 likes this

Been to the Rockaways and Broad Channel and SI. Going back to the Rockaways Sunday. They lost everything. Not just the fire department but most of the residents. Even if you guys can't donate fire equipment they need cleaning material, construction equipment, items to help with the clean up. Gloves, bleach, shovels etc.

x4093k likes this

Sleepy Hollow you have always been nothing but gentlemen whenever I have dealt with you. Your actions continue in the finest tradtions of the fire service, I salute you.

Guys even if you can only spare $25, go to Home Depot and buy a $10.00 1-Gallon sprayer and $15.00 worth of the heaviest duty bangs you can afford.

If you are going or planning on volunteering in Breezy, I recommend going through Operation Gut & Pump. If you need details or information PM me. Gut & Pump is doing what the city is not, they are making an electronic data base of homes and dispatching volunteer crews. If you want to volunteer, they have work for everyone. If you are able bodied the following tools besides work clothes, boots, & gloves may help: utility knife, hammer, flat bar, extra gloves, sheet rock saw, measuring tape, snap-line, & extra gloves. Yes I said gloves three times. For the handy man helper, a battery operated circular saw or sawzall for when you hit wood paneling. Charge it and the spare battery before going!

Thank you, stay safe and good luck men. See you in Breezy or Gerritsen Beach.

x635, x4093k, losromero and 1 other like this

A fire department in Minnesota (Chanhassen, Minn.) has loaned an engine to Broad Channel.....here is the link to the story on Firehouse.com - http://www.firehouse.com/news/10826465/donations-made-to-fire-departments-following-sandy

Minnesotans Loan Pumper, Donate Gear

The City of Chanhassen, Minn. has loaned a spare pumper truck to the Broad Channel Volunteer Fire Department in Queens.

During Sandy, the department lost two ambulances, two fire engines and several command vehicles.

Chanhassen had planned to sell Engine 22 at the end of 2012, but has now decided to loan it to a fire department in desperate need.

ATS Specialized Inc. in St. Cloud offered to make the $6,000 transport of the rig for free.

Neighboring fire departments worked to fill the truck with items including boots, helmets, air monitors, extrication tools and power supplies.

The Mdewakanton Sioux tribe is also chipping in, sending a truck with close to $20,000 in gear to follow the apparatus.

The rig was expected to arrive in New York City on Nov. 7.

I asked the question in the Sleepy Hollow Apparatus thread and I'm very glad to see they are donating the engine! KUDOS to Sleepy Hollow!!!!