Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

India Factory Fire Echoes 1911 Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire

6 posts in this topic

n Bangladesh, echoes of 1911 Triangle fire in NYC

By MEGHAN BARR

NEW YORK (AP) — Terrified women leaping to their deaths. Locked exits trapping workers. Piles of clothing blocking stairwells to safety.

The fire that raced through a garment factory in Bangladesh last week and killed 112 workers bore eerie echoes of another blaze more than a century ago: the Triangle Shirtwaist factory fire in New York City. While the March 25, 1911, Triangle fire that killed 146 workers spurred the organized labor movement and led to workplace safety improvements, experts question whether the same will happen in Bangladesh.

FULL ARTICLE: http://news.findlaw.com/apnews/adff6744610c45afaf9b64701a519b67

It perplexes me, that, even in third world countries, that there continue to be fires like this in 2012. Such simple measures could have prevented such a large loss of life.

Thats the first thought I had when I saw this on the news.......

Fire occurred in Bangladesh, not India.

Company involved in the fire manufactures clothing for Walmart. Remember that the next time you save a few pennies....

Edited by SRS131EMTFF
Danger likes this

Thats the first thought I had when I saw this on the news......

I said the same thing to a couple guys at my vollie house the other night hanging out when it came on the air. Unfortunately this happens more often abroad in these so-called "third world" countries.

That's why the jobs go there; no occupational safety laws or environmental regulations to increase operating costs. Along with workers who are willing to work in unsafe conditions and dangerous environments for pennies to the dollar, who won't fight for their own safety, is it any wonder that every company that can is sending its work overseas to these places? It's a horrible and avoidable tragedy and also an incrimination of how big companies do business to boost their bottom line. Things like this shouldn't happen anywhere in the 21st century, but our demand for more profits and cheap Walmart stuff allow it.

JetPhoto likes this

It's walmart this time but many other companies are just as guilty