Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
10-75k

West Harrison Junior Firefighters Video

5 posts in this topic

Just saw a video of the West Harrison Fire Department J.F.F. Video that I found on you-tube. West Harrison Fire Department program looks well run and well organized. These young J.F.F should be proud as well as the Department. I have a few questions how is the program run, how many advises does the program has to keep it well organized, how was the advises pick to start a new J.F.F. program in department. Keep up the Great Work guys

Edited by 10-75k

Hi 10-75k i am a leader of the junior program who can answer your questions. The program has 16 junior firefighters. A member of the fire department and other members had an idea to start the junior corp. up again. This department had a junior corp. back in the 70-80's it sadly ended and now it’s back and in full operation. We have 3 junior advisors consisting of a head advisor who was one of the members to start the program and the health and safety officerof the dept. and followed by two other advisors, one of them the 2nd lt of the department and the other, an ex-junior who has perused his career in the fire service. Thanks for all the good words its highly appreciated, and we will continue to keep up the good work. if you would like to see photos of us in action you can go to http://westharrisonfd.org/

Edited by FD250HQ
x4093k likes this

Just saw a video of the West Harrison Fire Department J.F.F. Video that I found on you-tube. West Harrison Fire Department program looks well run and well organized. These young J.F.F should be proud as well as the Department. I have a few questions how is the program run, how many advises does the program has to keep it well organized, how was the advises pick to start a new J.F.F. program in department. Keep up the Great Work guys

To begin I am one of the members of the program and we have 4 advisors total for 16 members. The program started with 4 original members and 2 advisors, since then one of the original members has graduated. We practice once a week, which is alot compared to some other organizations that I know of. Mostly our practices consist of basic evolutions taken from the FF1 book, but during the summer when school is out we go to our training base and do lots of hands on training such as VES, raising ladders,forcible entry, streching lines and flowing water. Also during the summer we are put in rotation groups, and when it's your groups turn you can attend the regular department drill, to either spectate or participate (only if the CO permits us to) within the drill. However for when school is in session we will mostly hold in house drills, like wide area search or firefighter entrapments. When we wanted to start the program the 4 members and 2 advisors all met up and we created an application for membership (a modifiyed version of the departments application with a parent sign off ) and a program by laws booklet (a code of conduct and an outline of the program does as well as another parent sign off sheet at the back. After creating this we brought it to the chief and after we received his approval, he then brought it up at the department meeting, and they voted upon it. Every member of the program is issued their own PPE and a gear bag for storage, most of our gear issued is 10+ years old, other members and I have also purchased other pieces of equipment (new gloves or radio holsters) we are also issued a work uniform and a dress uniform (both portrayed in the video). Lastly, the program has a chain of command going from Advisor to Probitionary member, It goes Advisor, 1 Captain, 2 Lieutenants, J.F.F, and Probitonary Member. To become a Captian or Lieutenants you must be elected to that position.
PCFD ENG58 and PFDRes47cue like this

As I complete my second full year as Chief of the West Harrison FD. This program is probably my proudest achievement. To see these men work and the interest they take in my Department and the fire service is second to none. This is the future of this Department, and the future for this community. I wholeheartedly commend my Program Coordinators/ Advisors, for the time and effort you put into this program and Thank my Junior Members for being there... Nice Job, boys!!

firedude, MoFire390, x4093k and 1 other like this