Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
peterose313

Chinese police, fire officials visit White Plains

3 posts in this topic

They weren't just here for the doughnuts. The White Plains Public Safety Department hosted 23 police and fire officials from China Friday, giving them a tour of headquarters, showing them emergency vehicles and other equipment and discussing training and operational procedures for about two hours. “They’re here as friends, on a two-week good-will tour to observe U.S. police methods,” said retired New York City Deputy Police Chief Dewey Fong, who accompanied the visitors to White Plains and served as their interpreter.

The group, which began its visit on the West Coast and has visited a number of departments across the country, asked to come to White Plains because David Chong is one of the few Chinese-American public safety commissioners in the U.S.

“We were honored to be requested, and I think we gave them some insight into how we do things,” Chong said. “I came up through the ranks of the NYPD with Deputy Chief Fong, so it was nice that he brought them here.” While Chong said police here and in China “have some things in common,” he said the visitors were particularly interested in American community policing methods.

With Fong translating, Zhou Chen, deputy director of the Guizhou Province public security bureau’s political department, told The Journal News that his group was impressed with what they saw. “White Plains is a beautiful city and they have very well-equipped police and firefighters,” he said. “There’s a lot we can learn here and we thank Commissioner Chong and Police Chief (James) Bradley for their hospitality. We’re impressed with the quality and professionalism we've seen.”

The Chinese officials also stopped at Berkeley College’s White Plains campus to learn about its criminal justice program. They return to China on Dec. 12.

Chinese police, fire officials visit White Plains

Interesting story....

It'd be incredibly interesting to be a part of the same experience in China. Why not? I'd like to see how the Beijing F.D. (As one example) operates. Ya never know what you might learn, or simply find interesting.

x635 and ex-commish like this

Interesting story....

It'd be incredibly interesting to be a part of the same experience in China. Why not? I'd like to see how the Beijing F.D. (As one example) operates. Ya never know what you might learn, or simply find interesting.

I agree. A lot can be learned from an internatonal open mind.

For instance, I really like where the stairs to the upper compartments are placed on this new Pierce Arrow XT rescue going to China. Don't know that I've seen that in the US.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/piercemfg/8182712292/in/photostream