Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Voters ignore most fire district votes

8 posts in this topic

This is really a shame. So many districts can get away with so much, because they know people don't care. It only takes a publicized controversy to get people to vote, it seems. And fire districts don't really have to answer to anybody.

I don't think moving it to November is the answer, but December is way too busy for many people, and many districts only have voting during the evening hours. Maybe spring would be a better time, but that may not be convenient for commissioner's terms.

I see it mentioned by a few different people interviewed in the article that the low voter turnout indicates satisfaction with the fire district. But is ignorance bliss in this case?

Turnout less than 1%; some urge Nov. ballots
Dec 10, 2012
Written by Julie Moran Alterio

This might be the year that Eastchester Fire District voters face something new at the polls: Lines.

FULL ARTICLE: http://www.lohud.com/article/20121210/NEWS02/312100038/Voters-ignore-most-fire-district-votes?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Frontpage

Districts answer to the taxpayers, and also the state Comptrollers office if your not handling your $ as you should.

x635 likes this

I'm split on this. Do I think more people should be involved in elections? Sure, if they have any idea what they're talking about. But do we want people just voting because theres a "D" or "R" next to their name during a general election?

Please note that I make the following comment from behind sufficient, ballistic protective, tactical cover:
If this is such a big issue maybe its time to get rid of fire districts and make them part of the municipality, instead of making the FD a separate political entity. Our department did just that after financial problems made a district financially unsustainable.

Edited by SageVigiles
helicopper and x635 like this

Previously I always felt that they should be moved to the November elections to improve turnout. But after reading the article I agree that a better fit may be the May school board /budget elections. They get a large turnout and generally the party politics dont exist.

PCFD ENG58 and x635 like this

Please note that I make the following comment from behind sufficient, ballistic protective, tactical cover:

If this is such a big issue maybe its time to get rid of fire districts and make them part of the municipality, instead of making the FD a separate political entity. Our department did just that after financial problems made a district financially unsustainable.

In New York State Towns do not have the authority to establish a Fire Department http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/LAWSSEAF.cgi?QUERYTYPE=LAWS+&QUERYDATA=@LLTWN+&LIST=LAW+&BROWSER=EXPLORER+&TOKEN=28559707+&TARGET=VIEW.

under the Town Law.

Towns only have the authority to establish Fire, Fire Alarm, and Fire Protection Districts. These Districts have the authority to (among other things)"...organize, operate, maintain and equip fire companies..."(176.10), "purchase or lease apparatus and equipment"(176.13).

Villages do have the authority to establish a Fire Department under the Village Law http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/LAWSSEAF.cgi?QUERYTYPE=LAWS+&QUERYDATA=@LLVIL+&LIST=LAW+&BROWSER=EXPLORER+&TOKEN=28559707+&TARGET=VIEW. Section 10-1000 of this Law specifies the legal terminolgy pertaining to their Fire Department.

A solution to this "problem" would be to allow for Towns to establish municipal Fire Departments, rather than "contracting" it out to a District that they have no say in.

a lot of members of the public are not aware they can vote for fire commissioner elections they think it's part of the departments internal elections

In New York State Towns do not have the authority to establish a Fire Department

A solution to this "problem" would be to allow for Towns to establish municipal Fire Departments, rather than "contracting" it out to a District that they have no say in.

Ah, didn't know that. I agree with your proposed solution. In West Haven the City Charter didn't allow for the city to operate an FD, but it was amended to allow for absorbing districts as the taxpayers push for that. Obviously a City Charter is easier to change than a State Statute, especially since I'm sure a few lobbyists would attempt to block it. The discussion is probably just academic anyway.

Captain Nechis, the school vote cycle probably isn't a bad compromise either, never thought of that.

The one big problem with moving the fire district elections that has never been mentioned in any article is the fact that fire district boundaries are not contiguous with either municipal, school district, or election district boundaries. Administratively it would be a nightmare. One school district for example could encompass several fire districts. It's easy to have a knee jerk reaction (read Paul Feiner) and make a suggestion, but you need to be able to back up the suggestion with a plan on how to carry it out.

38ff and SteveOFD like this