Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Mack Fire Apparatus Dealer

16 posts in this topic

At one time, Mack Fire Apparatus was the predominant brand in Westchester. Who was the dealer that handled Westchester accounts and where were they located? They were built in Allentown,PA correct? (Not a trivia question, just curious lol)

Mack Fire Apparatus were built in Allentown PA. But here are some interesting facts about Mack Fire Apparatus. The Famous C chassis series once so previlent in WC firefighting was actually designed by Ahrens Fox and C.D. Beck a bus manufacturer. When Mack bought Aherns Fox/Beck around 1957 they acquired the plant in Sydney Ohio where the 6 (yes only 6 Beck Ahrens Foxes were built were built. After that Mack bulit some fire apparatus there for several years before making the move back to Allentown. Additionally, Mack was soooo overwhelmed by deliveries during the late 1950's and early 1960's they contracted with Hahn Fire Apparatus of Hamburg PA to build the bodies. During this agreement Hahn built about 250 or so bodies on Mack Chassis. Additionally, Mack Trucks had a large factory in Long Island City, part of Queens for many many years... I cannot swear that they built fire trucks there, but certainly many local engines passed through that facility while awaitng their final delivery.

The sales team most likely would have changed after 1984 when Mack discontinued manufacturing complete fire apparatus.... most rigs after that recieved bodies by Ward 79 (Was Ward LaFrance), Ranger (a small now defucnt firm in RI)

I will try to find out from Mt. Kisco (Mutuals) I think they recieved the last completely built Mack pumper in WC (1983 Mack CF, still in service. Engine 103 I think) Sorry sooo long winded. Thought you all might be interested.

Engine 119 Croton, a 1984 Mack was a custom build entirely, but I don't believe it was the last one in the area.

Sorry Croton..... how could I forget 119?????? But I think then that would make your Mack the Last complete engine Mack built for a Westchester Department.

According to someone in the YFD, the just recently replaced Engine 303 (Old Mack CF replaced by 2004 ALF Eagle) was one of the last Mack CF's produced. Anyone like to comment?

R3 - 306 is getting replaced by the 2004 ALF (not in service yet). 306's Mack CF (swapped out with 314 early on) and 311's Mack CF (Ex-313) were the last 2 Mack CF 'Pumper' chassis produced. There is a good book containing this info called "Last of the Breed" by Harvey Eckhart. Hope this helps...

So, anyone remember who the Westchester area dealer for Macks were and where they were located?

Also, while I'm on the subject, how about the Maxim dealer?

The dealer for Maxim Fire Apparatus for the Westchester Area was from Hamden CT. the same guy sold the trucks for years and years.... when I see a comissioner budy of mine tonight at the FD I'll ask him about it again......perhaps he can tell me who the Mack deal was tooo......stay tuned.

Ok, So here is the deal for the Maxim dealer, the company was based out of Hamden CT and it was called O.B.Maxwell; the owner was Andrew Maxwell, and he sold scores of Maxim's across NY and CT. Maxim was at one point a very very popular fire truck in Westchester County.

The Mack Dealer at one point was appaerently John Bucci of Long Island; but I have no time frame on that.

If anyone is looking for info on there current Mack or retired Mack apparatus you can go online through the Mack truck museum and they will send you copies of all the info they have on your departments truck the only thing they ask for is a small donation to help keep the museum running

Some of the info i was able to obtain is

2 black and white file photo's of the truck when it was delivered to us

an original parts list and pump diogram a log book entry of all the departments around buying mack firetrucks as well as ours an advertisement on the mack 505s series pumper

multiple places that sell original mack parts

all you need to do is give them the serial number of the apparatus and they will be glad to assist you its great for finding out info on older trucks

THE NAME OF MACK DEALER IN WESTCHESTER WAS CARL TOGIE. AND HE WAS A REAL WEASEL. 1960"S TO EARLY 8O'S IF ANY ONE IS LOOKING FOR A OLD MACK FROM THAT TIME FRAME THAT WAS TRADED IN ON NEW RIGS HE WAS THE ONE THAT STOLE THEM! I MEAN TRADED THEM IN.

The dealer for this area back then was Carl Thuge and I believe he is still in business selling another brand. Ours was a 1974 CF and was built in Allentown and all service after that was in the Queen's facility. If I can find my info with what brand Carl is selling now I will post it.

Pretty sure that Long Island City was replair and prep only - no manufacturing -

I spent alot of time in their as i was/am in the insurance business - it was quite the place for sightseeing - FDNY rigs, NYPD rigs, PAPD, TBTA tow trucks - a veritable cornucopia. Kinda fun place to walk around - too bad it wasnt really appropriate for me to carry a camera in there tho.

I think Mack should be the major fire truck maker and shouldnt be just in westchester but all over the country