Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PCFD ENG58

R.I.P. Rye ladder 26

8 posts in this topic

Last week Rye Ladder ex 25 ex 26 1955 Maxim/ repower tractor 350 Duplex 8v92 with 4,000 miles on it made it's last run to Brookfield scrappers in Elmsford on a 53 ft trailer. Not a pretty site to see the tiller swinging from the crane

Not really. Most apparatus in Westchester do not have large response areas. Most of its time was probably spent at scenes, so it probably had a lot of hours on the motor. IIRC correctly when Pleasantville replaced Rescue 47 in 2006 (it was a 1980) it only had around 12,000 miles on it, and was dispatched on almost every call during that time. Figure a ladder does not get dispatched to all calls in its district

Edited by grumpyff

It only had 4,000 miles on it? That seems kind of low, no?

Not really but you have to remember fire apparatus age doesn't really go by "road miles". We are more concerned with "engine hours of operation". Since all apparatus have some sort of power take off from the engine to operate a ladder's components, a fire pump, or a generator, those engine hours can translate into road miles for the engine and transmission.

For example my old pumper at my vollie house, a 1981 American LaFrance Century 1250 pumper had only 9800 road miles on it when it went out of service in 2006 (25 years of operation). Its engine hours was up over 20,000 and the pump hours of running was about 18,000. So if you do some calculations, basically you have a truck that ran an equivilant of 20,000+ road miles just by figuring in the pump and engine hours. I know this is not the best explination but I hope it somewhat makes sense.

It had a complete new tractor put on in the early 80's 83 I think and at that point it was third due to Port Chester where it saw almost all its fire duty. It was back up to Ladder 25 100ft Seagrave Tiller. In it's early years when it came into Port Chester if it went down the post road it was going to work , if it came up Pearl st past my house it was going to stand by at HQ. It was a great looking rig with it's long nose Maxim open cab witch by the way still lives on in Peabody Mass.

firedude and x129K like this

Not really but you have to remember fire apparatus age doesn't really go by "road miles". We are more concerned with "engine hours of operation". Since all apparatus have some sort of power take off from the engine to operate a ladder's components, a fire pump, or a generator, those engine hours can translate into road miles for the engine and transmission.

For example my old pumper at my vollie house, a 1981 American LaFrance Century 1250 pumper had only 9800 road miles on it when it went out of service in 2006 (25 years of operation). Its engine hours was up over 20,000 and the pump hours of running was about 18,000. So if you do some calculations, basically you have a truck that ran an equivilant of 20,000+ road miles just by figuring in the pump and engine hours. I know this is not the best explination but I hope it somewhat makes sense.

Thanks, I wasn't aware how that worked. I just figured it was the same as a car which is why I thought it was low.