Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mstrang1

Memo from Scopetta

12 posts in this topic

I heard on the news this morning that Commish Scopetta sent a letter to both Unions accusing them of delaying responses by stopping at red lights and stop signs, when their guidelines say that slowing down is all that is necessary. I think this is preposterous! If an accident were to occur, the apparatus driver is held liable! As we all know, NYS V&T requires emergency vehicles to slow at green lights and STOP at red lights and stop signs(school buses too). Just because they are following the LAW, they are getting accused of slowing responses to emergencies! What is the common opinion of this letter?

Scapetta is'nt out there driving those trucks driving a truck that big can be difficult to begin with now you throw lights and sirens on the thing in an urban environment and the driver is at more risk of an accident. IN order to help we must get there first. Stop at red lights and clear the intersection!

Personal opinion...he's an a$$ho1e.......someone should tell Mr. Magoo to come and drive the Engines & Ladders, and to respond in a time frame he seems appropriate...to all the ECC's and LCC's here drive safely don't put your neck on the line for anyone......if something did happen, they will just hang you out to dry!!!!!!

mcbarker.gif

NYS V&T requires emergency vehicles to slow at green lights and STOP at red lights and stop signs(school buses too).

This is not ture, and thats why FDNY changed the rules.

FDNY SOPs were to come to a complete stop at red lights.

NYS law states

. Proceed past a steady red signal, a flashing red signal or a stop

sign, but only after slowing down as may be necessary for safe

operation;

So when a FDNY Engine hit and killed someone when they didn't stop at a red light they were in the wrong and couldn't argue the case. With the new rules FDNY could say that they slowed down but didn't see anyone. Gives them more play in court.

Now that FDNY changed the rules to match that of NYS VTL that states you can go past a red light, the unions are saying to come to a complete stop. It has to do with the fact that if you do go past a red light and hit someone they are going to hang you.

Regardless of unions, the correct interpritation of the NYS V&T law is as simple as this. If you are going through a red light, stop sign, etc. and you get in an accident - You did not slow down as neccisary for safe operation. Yes - you can proceed through, but if you get in an accident, YOU ARE AT FAULT. And with todays "Joe Citizen" mentality that USA stands for U Sue Anybody - You can bet your @$$ that commisioners, unions, lawyers, fight as they may, are going to lose.

Thanks for the correction TBendick. Either which way, I stop at all red lights and stop signs, it does not add that much time, and I would rather be safe than in an accident. If my Officer doesn't like the fact that I stopped at a red light, he can walk back to the firehouse, because I am gonna stop at every light, and slow at all green lights.

As a firefighter/driver, you did not cause the emergency to which you are responding to, but you are doing your best to mitigate it. I think that "operating in a safe manner", a common phrase used in law and SOG(P)'s, is very open and should be interpreted by each driver at his/her discretion.

Just My 2 Cents.

I thought it was hilarious that NY1 asked Scopuppet if he should resign. The guy has done more in three years to run this job into the ground than anyone else I have seen in eight. Next to my management of course.

They are their own worst enemies. Several years ago the Westchester County Dept. of Corrections was in a contract dispute. The CO's backed the jail's intake up for hours. Not by fouling things up or delaying tactics. They just "followed the book". If agency personnel were to follow every single step in a guideline you would find them getting half the work done. But the guidline was established usually after one particular incident and the "reactionary" government in a panic establishes for the "foot soldier" set rules that often hamper the timely delivery of service.

If these guys were to disregard the guideline. Who do you think is going to take the hit? It's not Scopetta I'll bet money on that one.

Arriving safe and ready to work has already saved lives. Don't fall victem of "The Man".

All I have to say is this...

Scopetta couldn't correctly friggen run the city's adoption and foster care agency (ACS), so he's probably even lesser qualified to make the kind of judgments he made in the letters, let alone run the fire department, which is much more important than ACS.

Horrible... [-( [-X

I saw this on the news last night with the bonehead commish. I couldn't help but laugh at him because the drivers on trucks are being smart and stopping at stop signs and stop lights. I guess he rather get people killed because he wants the trucks racing to the scene and what appears to be any means neccesary. Every Evoc class I have seen and when I took it even said to stop at all stop lights and stop signs then proceed thru once it is safe. He is just trying to cause more problems it looks like. Seems lately there is something in the news because he's such an idiot

Complete stop and eye contact with drivers is helpful during the daytime,,DUE REGAURD for the safety of everyone!

JBE.....I bet you my management is screwing it up more than your management.