Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
davidemt

Helmets and Face Protection for Volunteer EMTs

7 posts in this topic

A little while ago, my fire department responded to an accident that required a lengthy extrication. Because of some of the patient's medical issues, several EMTs needed to be close to the patient during the extrication. The EMTs, myself included, were explosed to a lot of flying pieces of glass. (The car's position prevented us from being in a safer place relative to where the vehicle was actually being cut.) All I had was a fire department issued hard hat, like kind seen on construction sites, and no face protection. In contrast, of course, all of the firefighters had helmets with face sheilds.

All of the flying glass made for a very dangerous sitaution for the EMTs--any of us could have potentially gotten glass in our eyes. Obviously, the work that we do is inherently dangerous, but the reason that we have special gear and equipment is to minimize the danger to the greatest extent possible. After that particular accident, it became clear that our helmets, which lack face protection, don't do enough to minimize risk and danger.

What do other departments issue their EMTs for face protection? Does anyone have any suggestions I could pass along to my fire department about head and face protection for EMTs?

Thank you!

We carry hard hats, wrap around safety goggles and heavy leather gloves in our rigs for use during extrication.

Basic PPE for us for anyone inside the car or near the car during extrication is:

Hard Hat

Safety Goggles

Long Sleeved Coat

Leather Gloves

Long Sleeved Pants

Closed toe shoes (with several members having safety toe boots etc)

We carry hard hats, wrap around safety goggles and heavy leather gloves in our rigs for use during extrication.

Basic PPE for us for anyone inside the car or near the car during extrication is:

Hard Hat

Safety Goggles

Long Sleeved Coat

Leather Gloves

Long Sleeved Pants

Closed toe shoes (with several members having safety toe boots etc)

Thats a lot better than many places, but it does not meet OSHA (or PESH depending on the type of Agency)

29 CFR1910.132 General Requirements

29 CFR 1910.133 (Eye and face protection);

29 CFR 1910.134 (Respiratory protection):

29 CFR 1910.135 (Head protection);

29 CFR 1910.136 (Foot protection);

29 CFR 1910.137 (Electrical protective equipment);

29 CFR 1910.138 (Hand protection)

And others (Body, Fire, etc.). For assitance start with this: http://www.osha.gov/Publications/osha3151.pdf

markmets415, JM15 and helicopper like this

The safety goggles sound like a really cost-effective way to provide eye protection, and they would also be compatible with our existing hard hats (no need to go out and by new helmets). This is something I'm going to look into for my fire department! Thanks!

Thats a lot better than many places, but it does not meet OSHA (or PESH depending on the type of Agency)

29 CFR1910.132 General Requirements

29 CFR 1910.133 (Eye and face protection);

29 CFR 1910.134 (Respiratory protection):

29 CFR 1910.135 (Head protection);

29 CFR 1910.136 (Foot protection);

29 CFR 1910.137 (Electrical protective equipment);

29 CFR 1910.138 (Hand protection)

And others (Body, Fire, etc.). For assitance start with this: http://www.osha.gov/Publications/osha3151.pdf

Thanks for providing the link--these regulations are a great place to start a conversation in my department about what we need in order to minimize the risks we face... especially since we're not compliant at this point ;-)

My department we have turnout coats, heavy duty gloves, we also have a helmet with a visor and a cloth that covers the back of the neck area. We also have safety goggles if needed.

As an Officer, I would not allow any cutting to take place at an extrication unless the EMT/Medic in the car is wearing Turnout Gear. On a number of occasions I have given the order that nothing is cut until the medic gets out of the car and dons his turnout gear. If there is an EMT in the vehicle, I have often removed him and replaced him with Fire Dept EMT in his turnout gear until the extrication is complete. Often times, I have EMS stage with the stretcher away from the hazards of the extrication and the fire dept brings the patient to them on a backboard...that is when their patient care starts. Not only is there glass breaking and jagged edges, EMTs are not trained in accident victim extrication and are often unaware of the potential hazards that occur when a cut is being made, whats behind the door panels, where the vehicle is going to move when it is manipulated, etc.

Bnechis likes this