Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

South Of I-287 Brush Resources

7 posts in this topic

I'm having trouble recalling, what are the brush resources (i.e. Brush Truck) south of I-287 in Westchester?

If I remember correctly a few years ago when there was a large brush fire along the power lines in greenburgh a brush truck from millwood was dispatched as it was the closest brush unit

Most places do not need them as there is limited brush and/or limited access for brush trucks to get in so you are hand streching anyway.

Town of Mamaroneck had one in the 1980's. it became a driver training unit and then a light rescue. it was replaced with Rescue 6. Much better use.

And Indian tanks!

In my 35 years I have not made use of an actual brush truck south of 287. Most of our brush fires were extinguished as mentioned by PCFD Eng58 and DC2t...Brooms and Indian tanks. (Never tell the Probies that once the fire is out, you can dump your Indian Tank and walk out of the woods. It as always fun to watch his face as you swing your empty can around)

There were other methods of extinguishment as well:

1. Hump 2 1/2 and standpipe packs into the woods (Not a preferred method)

2. Roy Patrick had a WWII jeep. We would have a cop drive Roy back to the station to get his jeep. This took the humping out of Option #1

3. Wait for the Gator or the Bambi Bucket to be invented

4. Wait for rain

5. Wait until the fire got within 200ft of a road, Stick your ladder pipe up and make rain

Fought a brush fire on Friday afternoon, brush rakes and indian packs were the method until the situation was placed under control. Our mutual aid engine stretched appx. 200 ft of 1" forestry hose to cool off hotspots. We didn't need a brush truck for the incident but I could see where they might come in handy in other parts.

Edited by bgore3