Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Passing of Legendary FDNY Captain Jim "Lord Jim" Ellson, Sr

5 posts in this topic

From www.FireFighterCloseCalls.com and reposted with permission.

All,

It is with deep regret that we inform you that yesterday afternoon, we lost a "Man for the Ages" with the passing of FDNY Captain Jim "Lord Jim" Ellson, Sr, who lost his battle to cancer. He gave more to his family, his fellow firefighters and to the many friends he made along the way than to his own personal self. Many of you outside of NY may recall him at FDIC for so many years wearing his custom knitted "FDNY sweater" , ball cap and a huge smile. Thanks to Chief Jack Murphy for his personal thoughts about Jim: Jim's stellar fire service career began in 1960, where as a Probie he responded to his first of many numerous major incidents, when two planes collided over the city (12/16/60) with one plane crashing in the Park Slope section of Brooklyn and the other coming down in Staten Island. Within 3 days after this mid-air collision, he was battling the famous major fire on the USS Constellation aircraft carrier that killed 50 workers. The ship was under construction in the Brooklyn Naval Yard.

Some Fire & OEM Career Highlights of Captain Ellson:

-FDNY: Firefighter/E65 & L102

-Lieut./L124. It was here at L124 that he got the nickname, "Lord Jim" while serving as a fellow officer along with Peter Ganci. Pete later became the Chief of Department who lost his life on 9/11/01..

-Lieut./Rescue 1

-Captain/Squad 1

-SOC Executive Officer to Deputy Chief Ray Downey

-USAR/Task Force-1 Team Leader·

-Deputy Commissioner in the Mayor's Office of Emergency Management·

-Instructor:

-FDNY Fire Academy

-John Jay College Fire Science and Emergency Management Programs

-Guest lecturer at many state and national fire conferences and forums·

-Fire Safety Directors Association (NYC)/Board Member·

-FDIC Education Team (1997-2005)

-NYS/DHS, his last gig working logistics for Superstorm Sandy.

Throughout his career, the vast response experiences from 1960 to September 11th and beyond, served as a broad knowledge base that he would share in a more perfect union of fire and emergency management expertise. Despite being heroically cited for many Department Service Rating Medals and Unit Citations for bravery, his humbling demeanor spoke volumes as to his character, never seeking any accolades, but always applauding firefighters who were acting as one.

Here is just one example of his character, last year he received an EZ Pass late notice bill for passing through a toll booth on the New Jersey Turnpike, the vehicle license plate read, "Tonka Truck". While Jim sold his car more than 25 years ago with this plate, he passed the old plate along to his former company, L124. Rather than contest the EZ Pass as to the type of vehicle photographed on camera, Jim paid the fine of $50.00 over a challenge to pay a 90 cents toll fee.

His is the best friend that one could ever have in his/her life. In one of the many conversations we have had over the years, he once told me a quote from Father Mychal Judge "That no matter how hard it gets, God has a plan for you"

Mychal's Prayer:

Lord, take me where you want me to go;
Let me meet who you want me to meet;
Tell me what you want me to say,
And Keep me out of Your Way.

When Jim arrived at the Gates of Heaven yesterday, St. Peter needed to put crowd control management plan in place. He will remain a 'Beacon of Light' in our hearts with all he has shared with us. God Speed, Brother Jim.

FUNERAL ARRANGEMENTS:

Wake is scheduled for Tuesday and Wednesday at Fredericks Funeral home in Flushing, Queens .

192-15 Northern Blvd at 182nd Street.

The phone number is 718-357-6100.

Funeral Mass is scheduled for Thursday, Church (TBA)

RIP Captain "Lord Jim" Ellson. Our condolences to his family and many friends.

Take Care-BE CAREFUL.

BillyG

The Secret List 5-13-13 / 0700 Hours

www.FireFighterCloseCalls.com

JM15 likes this

Capt Ellson was really a gentleman. I met him back in 2002 at a fire bell club meeting. Never once did you ever get the impression that he was better than anyone. We had a few chats and it was nice to speak to someone who did a lot of time on the job, although you would have never known it.

x129K likes this

Rest in peace Cap, it was an honor to know you. Condolences to family ... Jim Jr. is the current Captain of Rescue Co. 3 in the Bronx.

x129K likes this

Captain Ellson was more than a great fire officer: he was good people. RIP.

x129K likes this

Jim was one of my Lieut.'s in Rescue 1 back in the 'late 80's. He always had a smile on his face; never got excited at a fire /emergency; he exuded confidence at all times, and made you feel very confident when we encountered some "hairy" situations. He was such a gentleman, that we sometimes (behind his back) called him "Father Jim". I remember when his son would ride with us on some weekend night tours- now he is Capt. of Rescue 3 in the Bronx. The tradition continues! Heaven now has another great officer for the Lord's Fire Brigade!

x129K likes this