Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Hackensack Air Med 1 - Where Do They Transport To?

9 posts in this topic

If Hackensack Air Med 1 is requested to the scene in Brewster, let's say. Do they transport to WMC, or Hackensack?

If Hackensack Air Med 1 is requested to the scene in Brewster, let's say. Do they transport to WMC, or Hackensack?

To the closest facility. They are becoming very active in New York due to their proximity and they have been transporting to St Francis and WMC.

It's patient/family choice depending on what's the appropriate facility. And I was honestly surprised last weekend when the crew asked my patients wife what facility she wanted to go to, between Hackensack and WMC, and when she asked their opinion, they told her they were both about equal. I was expecting to hear them say Hackensack, but apparently, they don't feel the need/ haven't been told to push going to Hackensack

JetPhoto likes this

If they come into NY mutual aid or as the primary unit in lower Orange/Rockland/Western Westchester they take the patient to the closest appropriate trauma center. Most likely a level 1 but they can go to a level 2 at their own discretion.

.. and to answer your question they would go to WMC from Brewster. Patients choice only comes into play when there are two equidistant hospitals from the scene.

JetPhoto likes this

If they were going to go to the nearest level 1 from Brewster wouldn't that be Danbury?

If that's the case diesel is a heck of a lot cheaper than aviation fuel...

Load & Go don't sit & play a problem that is created when when the bird is called on every other call and not just the right calls, people forget how to transport in an ambulance.

Some countys have the medevac on initial dispatch based on the type of call. ex. a rollover.

If they were going to go to the nearest level 1 from Brewster wouldn't that be Danbury?

Whiile reading this I thought the same thing? Danbury would be the closest correct?

Danbury is a level 2. We transport people out of Danbury and St francis frequently that were brought in as a trauma but need a level 1 center due to their injuries. While air transport from a scene is generally used for time critical patients we also carry a number of advanced care devices/medications not found on ground ambulances. By no means delay transport especially if it's less than a 30 minute ride but also keep in mind the specialized care a critical care team can provide.

JetPhoto, irishfire2491 and x635 like this