spin_the_wheel

Civil Defense logo

8 posts in this topic

I found the below thread link when I searched the Civil Defense logo. I found it odd seeing the Greenburgh PD power unit, a rather modern rig, using the CD logo. I knew this logo was from the cold war era and knew I had seen it myself while in school in the 70's. but did not know if it was still in use.

Well apparently the logo died back in 2006 according to this NY Times article. Who knew. Anyway I found it interesting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/01/washington/01civil.html

There's a few pieces floating around in CT with the old Civil Defense logo (which I think is awesome, by the way.)

New Haven:
NHFD has an old rescue/command rig parked behind Dixwell Station (Engine 6/Truck 4) with the Civil Defense logo.

New Haven's Emergency Operations Center (also home to C-MED New Haven) has a lot of the old Civil Defense posters from the Cold War days, which if I'm not mistaken have been there from the Cold War era.

Ansonia:

IzzyEng4 can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Ansonia may have 1 or 2 old rigs with CD lettering still on them.

Danbury:

Stashed somewhere on the grounds of Danbury Airport is an old Civil Defense Auxillary Police car as well, kept in VERY good condition by the city's Airport Administrator/Emergency Management Director. You'll usually see it in the Memorial Day Parade.

I know there's more floating around but those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head. A few Emergency Management offices in CT still refer to themselves as Civil Defense and/or Civil Preparedness (I believe Title 28, the statutes that give authority to Emergency Management Directors still refer to Civil Preparedness,) but they are in the minority.

The Civil Defense logo has been replaced with the Emergency Management logo found in that NY Times Article, which I am not a fan of. If I could find one of those old CD drums I'd buy it in a heartbeat. The old posters are pretty cool too.

Edited by SageVigiles
Disaster_Guy likes this

I have to laugh at the new logo in that it claims Public Safety * Public Trust. I guess we're supposed to place our trust in the agencies of government instead of God, whomever you believe that to be.

That they have to claim it within their logo shows just how much there is a lack of it in the perception of the public.

Until last year the Civil Defense logo was on the patch of the

City of Peekskill Auxiliary Police. They now have a new patch/design.

post-3-0-93038400-1372592624.png

spin_the_wheel likes this

Anyone have photos of area (emtbravo range) rigs, patches, uniforms, instruction signs still in place with this logo? May be interesting to see what we can come up with.

SageVigiles, all of Ansonia's old Civil Defense trucks have been repainted to Ansonia Rescue Medical Service by the early 2000 when the unit re-organized. The only thing that may have the CD logo still on them are the light trailers and possible the old boat.

SageVigiles, all of Ansonia's old Civil Defense trucks have been repainted to Ansonia Rescue Medical Service by the early 2000 when the unit re-organized. The only thing that may have the CD logo still on them are the light trailers and possible the old boat.

Damned shame. I'd have kept the CD logo just for looks. It would work with ARMS colors anyway!