Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SRS131EMTFF

4 Door Ambulance Cabs

12 posts in this topic

Spec'ing a new ambulance in the winter. Looking at our options and it looks like pickup cab will be our best bet (we went with a GMC 4500 in 2008 and it is quite frankly too big for our needs). We travel with large crews (3+) and would like a safer way to transport crew from the ED to base and from base to the call other than strapping the 3rd or 4th EMT in the back. This leads us to the 4 door cabs.

The only concern we have is length, we would like to keep the box the same length as it has been for the past 4 generations. Does anyone have a spec for a 4 door ambulance. I would like to see the CAD spec if possible.

Those of you that do operate out of 4 door ambulance (FDNY guys are the only ones I know of), pros, cons? Likes/Dislikes?

Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

x635 likes this

I've heard a rumor that FDNY is spec'ing a 4x4 version of their current spec.

Excellance (one of the best builders out there IMO) has manufactured a module on a Terastar chasis (not too much different from a Ford F-450) for Mecklenburg EMS - Charlotte, NC (scroll down)

http://www.excellance.com/vehicles/recent-deliveries?page=2

Braun offers an ambulance on the Spartan Furion chasis that allows plenty of crew room, and a tighter turning radius. I would imagine Spartan could put in a 4x4, but that would probably make it pretty tall.

Here's some info on the chasis end:

http://www.fireapparatusmagazine.com/articles/print/volume-15/issue-1/features/braun-orders-spartan-furionrt-chassis.html

Rumor is the fdny is going back to ford 350 with a suicide door and 4x4.

Light duty diesels in ambulances that just sit and idle are a huge problem. I think a better alternative would be to put in shore lines and electric climate control where the units sit awaiting. No more idling.

If you go with a true full 4 door 4x4 you will be limited in the size of the module you are able to use. I am not sure about the TerraStar but I will look into it.

Anyone got anything (Other than the FDNY Dodge and St Lukes-Roosevelt) with a 4 door pickup?

The Terrastar is too big and the Furion is too expensive.

Speaking of St Lukes-Roosevelt, does anyone know who makes the box on their 4 door ambulances?

Edited by SRS131EMTFF

I think St Lukes has a Horton. They only use gas rigs, they gave up on diesel a long time ago.

The Mecklenburg unit looks a little on the large size for both NYC streets and many of the ED bays. Some of them, Monte in the Bronx for example, have a tight turning radius to begin with especially when entering southbound off Bainbridge. While going to 4x4 is a nice idea how many have driven a 4x4 regularly and know when and how to use it and it's limitations - speed, dry pavement transition,etc. Sounds like time to re-EVOC everyone.

St. Lukes Roosevelt uses Frazer ambulances I believe. Haven't seen too many of them in the area, and not really sure why...

They are a smaller builder and have a very strong following in Texas. They've tried to expand their market into the Northeast, but with limited success for some reason.

Frazer is making some in-roads in Northern NJ. Hackensack Vollies, HackensackUMC, and The Valley Hospital, Ridgewood

are all using them at this point.

ndpemt519 likes this