Westchester

Irvington Volunteer Ambulance Corps in trouble?

75 posts in this topic

So, Westchester, you've been a member here for a month or so , welcome.

How many years have you been around Irvington?

What about the 15 years prior to Dobbs Ferry hiring paid personnel when Irvington covered more calls in Dobbs than they did in Irvington?

Maybe Irvington can back charge Dobbs for all of the calls and they would have enough money to hire paid personnel?

So, Westchester, you've been a member here for a month or so , welcome.

How many years have you been around Irvington?

What about the 15 years prior to Dobbs Ferry hiring paid personnel when Irvington covered more calls in Dobbs than they did in Irvington?

Maybe Irvington can back charge Dobbs for all of the calls and they would have enough money to hire paid personnel?

I have been a EMT BRAVO member for longer than a month, just I got a new e-mail address and had to re-register under a different user name I have been a member for awhile.

My family lives in Irvington, and I Volunteer

And Dobbs Ferry has not had a problem for 15 years, I believe they started having a problem in 2005 or so, when a new administration was voted in and alot of old timers left or kicked out.

Dobbs Ferry VAC has done a lot for Irvington. Remember when Irvington Police Officer Lugio Osso was involved in the headon with the teen who stole the car from Conn. It was Dobbs Ferry VAC that transported him and treated him. IVAC was stuck on Main Street. Irvington has also been in Tarrytown alot. Why doesn't TVAC pay back Irvington. It was Irvington that helped TVAC with a problem of scheduling crews. Tarrytown eventully went Paid day time . So huzzie59 learn your history first I've been riding paid/volunteer Fire/EMS for 30 years.

ems-buff likes this

Tarrytown started per diem personnel in 1995 or 1996. TVAC has never had to call for mutual aid due to not getting a primary crew out. Only when the first crew is on a call, is when TVAC has needed mutual aid.

I joined about that time and from that time Dobbs and Sleepy Hollow would go through good times and bad. Stories always centered on both corps not getting out the primary crew. But Irvington has always had the reputation of always getting out. Even getting two crews out during the day. I've been on maybe three mutual ais calls to irvington in all these years.

And I really wouldn't expect any neighbor to "charge" any neighbor.

Westchester likes this

Tarrytown started per diem personnel in 1995 or 1996. TVAC has never had to call for mutual aid due to not getting a primary crew out. Only when the first crew is on a call, is when TVAC has needed mutual aid.

I joined about that time and from that time Dobbs and Sleepy Hollow would go through good times and bad. Stories always centered on both corps not getting out the primary crew. But Irvington has always had the reputation of always getting out. Even getting two crews out during the day. I've been on maybe three mutual ais calls to irvington in all these years.

And I really wouldn't expect any neighbor to "charge" any neighbor.

I apoligize your correct! But I do recall sometimes when TVAC was out on a call, IVAC would do mutual aid to Tarrytown, transport to Phelps and see TVAC still at Phelps. Sometimes ( And let's be truthfull ) TVAC would not call into service while taking there time at Phelps. Yes Irvington always had a reputation of getting 2 Ambulances out for calls, but go back a little ways and see when the problems started. IVAC went from 60 members+/- and 30 EMTs+/- to about 4 EMTs and a couple of drivers and aides. My concern as a resident is what happened? Past and Current members did'nt move or change jobs. Yes some got a little older and burnt out. But what really happened. If Dobbs Ferry is going to help Irvington by covering the village does 60 Control know this? Do residents of Dobbs know this? Does REMSCO or DOH know this?

I understand all volunteer Emergecy Services are short handed and new volunteers are not coming in like they used to, but lives are at stake and I feel the response time is being effected for resident in Irvington. The Captain haas addressed this problem with the Village Board Members during a work section. I want to see what happens next.

Also your right TVAC has only called mutual when the primary crew (paid) is out on a call. How about TVAC second rig? You get the first out but it's hard to get the second rig out, because the stand-by crew are volunteers, and TVAC lost alot of members to Sleepy Hollow after some internal problems. Say I'm Wrong! I watched the Tarrytown Board Meetings when TVAC was metioned about problems within the Corps. And a investigation was done. How many members has TVAC lost due to that problem? I know TVAC lost alot of excellent members.

Edited by Westchester

We have ALL had issues. But how we address the issues set us apart from one another. Having lost a number of key members there was a time we would have paid personnel at night. And yes, they would respond to our neighbors, but then again, are we not in this business to serve the public? Because of a line on a map, I should complain for crossing that line?

Let's look at the way the fire system works - The fire departments get a real job and they back fill right away. EMS doesn't unless there is a fire and there is an extended standby. So, does being out for an hour on a call justify calling for mutual aid to standby? Thereby reducing response time?

As I stated earlier, we always have a primary duty crew. Being dispatched by our PD, they don't wait for 5 pages to call for mutual aid. If no calls are received right away, they go mutual aid.

I do think it's time for an open and honest discussion about EMS in Greenburgh. The question is, generally, not who we help first, but how do we handle the second and third calls and help those people.

And, I think it's highly unfair to think a crew would "hang out" a Phelps to miss a call.

Bnechis and Westchester like this

As I see it trying to run an EMS agency with all volunteers in Westchester County is out of the question! Twenty years ago when people could afford to live here and work only one job to make ends meet VACS were full of members who rode schedules weekly. In fact when a "new member" joined it was almost impossible for that member to "ride" weeknights because 5 man crews had been working together for years! Recently, it has been nearly impossible to get new members because the "younger potential" members were moving out of Westchester because of these taxes. In many communities the "call volume" has gotten to the point that volunteers have to stay in quarters for the entire shift..when I rode it was possible to respond from home of somewhere in the community within 4 minutes which freed the volunteer to do some limited errands etc. I believe the "response" is now mandatory within a very short period of time.

We are teetering on a very short leash here in Westchester when it comes to EMS and Fire Dept. response. More and more only one ambulance often with only two people is available to respond no matter what the nature of the call. I dare say that should the call be traumatic that the survival rate is significantly less than it was years ago just from a response time angle. Many of you have raised the question of going to PAID staff. It is a great idea BUT WHERE ARE WE GOING TO GET ENOUGH MEDICS AND EMT'S FROM? Most per diems are not making enough per hour and thus are running from one agency to another for shifts. We are losing contol of our emergency responders due to lack of manpower. Time for the politicians to recognize this and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT ..before it is too late.

ems-buff likes this

We have ALL had issues. But how we address the issues set us apart from one another. Having lost a number of key members there was a time we would have paid personnel at night. And yes, they would respond to our neighbors, but then again, are we not in this business to serve the public? Because of a line on a map, I should complain for crossing that line?

Let's look at the way the fire system works - The fire departments get a real job and they back fill right away. EMS doesn't unless there is a fire and there is an extended standby. So, does being out for an hour on a call justify calling for mutual aid to standby? Thereby reducing response time?

As I stated earlier, we always have a primary duty crew. Being dispatched by our PD, they don't wait for 5 pages to call for mutual aid. If no calls are received right away, they go mutual aid.

I do think it's time for an open and honest discussion about EMS in Greenburgh. The question is, generally, not who we help first, but how do we handle the second and third calls and help those people.

And, I think it's highly unfair to think a crew would "hang out" a Phelps to miss a call.

This problem IVAC is having now is nothing new within the county. I know there are problems all across the U.S but were talking about our RiverTown Communities. This problem is spreading like Herpes, It goes a way for a while and then comes back. I don't know what the answer is I'm very concerned fro all residents. The first thing that has to happen is for VACs that have a problem come forward notify yor village and town officials connect 60 Control, REMSCO, DOH. some ideas I proposed several years ago was a merger of VACs and cover certain districts, have per-diems cover VACs like Dobbs. Hire paid crews like Tarrytown, etc. Something has to be done now, before the worst happens

As I see it trying to run an EMS agency with all volunteers in Westchester County is out of the question! Twenty years ago when people could afford to live here and work only one job to make ends meet VACS were full of members who rode schedules weekly. In fact when a "new member" joined it was almost impossible for that member to "ride" weeknights because 5 man crews had been working together for years! Recently, it has been nearly impossible to get new members because the "younger potential" members were moving out of Westchester because of these taxes. In many communities the "call volume" has gotten to the point that volunteers have to stay in quarters for the entire shift..when I rode it was possible to respond from home of somewhere in the community within 4 minutes which freed the volunteer to do some limited errands etc. I believe the "response" is now mandatory within a very short period of time.

We are teetering on a very short leash here in Westchester when it comes to EMS and Fire Dept. response. More and more only one ambulance often with only two people is available to respond no matter what the nature of the call. I dare say that should the call be traumatic that the survival rate is significantly less than it was years ago just from a response time angle. Many of you have raised the question of going to PAID staff. It is a great idea BUT WHERE ARE WE GOING TO GET ENOUGH MEDICS AND EMT'S FROM? Most per diems are not making enough per hour and thus are running from one agency to another for shifts. We are losing contol of our emergency responders due to lack of manpower. Time for the politicians to recognize this and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT ..before it is too late.

How right you are! Also EMS calls would average 30 minutes to 45 minutes from tone out to back in quarters. Know that more hospital are closing or going on diversion EMS calls are 1 hour or more. Volunteers can't leave work for that long of a time. What if you get 3 calls on one shift, forget about it. Your boss or business you own will go in the crapper.There are not enough residents that want to get their hands dirty, they work in the city, come home, have a glass of wine or smoke a joint, put the garbage out, and play Wii or go on facebook with their mistress.Let's call a spade a spade. The residents around these parts want no part of volunteering unless they can get their face in the N.Y Times or Wall Street Journal. Thats Yuppies that are invading or villages are purchasing 1 million dollar condo's and have no idea what stores are in there village or town, and you know there not coming out for a EMS call at 2am !

So once again. How do you get paid staff in Ivac. To fix the problem

Either hire paid day time crews, get per-diems ( if available ), or go all paid. I don't see a mad rush of volunteers banging on the doors, and that goes for a lot of VACs. I wish I had the best answer, but it's a problem that all resident in Westchester will have to face. I'm burn't out ! Good Nite.

Either hire paid day time crews, get per-diems ( if available ), or go all paid. I don't see a mad rush of volunteers banging on the doors, and that goes for a lot of VACs. I wish I had the best answer, but it's a problem that all resident in Westchester will have to face. I'm burn't out ! Good Nite.

Your burnt out? Try working 70 - 90 hours weekly in this "system."

That said, forget per diem and forget part time. EMS providers deserve a real career path. Either allow a larger pre established agency (in this case GPD comes to mind) handle it or start going to the media and hope change will begin.

Your burnt out? Try working 70 - 90 hours weekly in this "system."

That said, forget per diem and forget part time. EMS providers deserve a real career path. Either allow a larger pre established agency (in this case GPD comes to mind) handle it or start going to the media and hope change will begin.

How right you are I worked for Paid EMS service I know the hours you put in and others for scrap pay. Trust me it's not right. The difference between a paid service in the Rivertowns and a paid service in Yonkers or the City. Is LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION ! I would love to be a paid EMT in The Rivertowns same pay as Empress or FDNY EMS and the best part no hiking up 10 floors with a patient on a reeves. I've been there I know what it's like it's unfair the pay I used to get and the pay now for my past brothers and sisters. I would rather be a paid EMT,Firefighter, or Police Officer in any Rivertown, that would be like hitting the Lotto of carrers.

I've done the 70-90 hours weekly plus overtime, it sucks and it's blood money, but we love to do it! I guess at the end when you know you saved a life or made a family member or patient better it all pays for itself, at least at night I can feel good about myself for the things I did in the past. It might of not put a new car in my driveway, but I'll always be proud for the career I had.

1) We are teetering on a very short leash here in Westchester when it comes to EMS and Fire Dept. response.

2) Many of you have raised the question of going to PAID staff. It is a great idea BUT WHERE ARE WE GOING TO GET ENOUGH MEDICS AND EMT'S FROM? Most per diems are not making enough per hour and thus are running from one agency to another for shifts. We are losing contol of our emergency responders due to lack of manpower.

3) Time for the politicians to recognize this and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT ..before it is too late.

1) Yes we are and very few depts are willing to acknowledge this even to themselves.

2) If centralized there might be enough, but with 20+ agencies fighting for them and no real System, you are right we have a major shortage.

3) If the agencies dont recognize it, the politicans never will.

Dinosaur likes this

That said, forget per diem and forget part time. EMS providers deserve a real career path. Either allow a larger pre established agency handle it or start going to the media and hope change will begin.

EMS-Buff, paid staff will not fix the problem, it will only treat the symptom. It is a short term fix, not a long term solution

Goose, you are 110%

Dinosaur likes this

Good Morning! I just came off a long shift, and I was thinking( hard to beileve ) What was the point in me starting this topic. The important problem is not just the EMS service but really the whole Health Care System. We don't have enough Hospital, ERs, Doctors, or Nurses to even begin treatment on patients we bring in. Thw whole system needs to be dealt with. Too many hospital on diversion, many hospitals in the city don't even want a patient, and most Hospitals are going under or way under staff. So if we get to a patient quick, hire paid staff, get per-diems, or merge with other villages we still need to transport these patients. Where do we go? Most patients want to go where their doctor visits. That's not the case anymore ( most of the time ) it's either WP Hospital or ST. Johns. and you know if you bring a patient there you'll being wating around the ER for so time. White Plains Hospital and Saint Johns Riverside was busting at the seems. Our Health Care System from bottom to top needs to be looked at and something done. Obama Care sure isn't going to help ! Good Nite all, and be careful out there.

calhobs likes this

I think it will take a full collapse of the EMS system before anything will be done. This will include Hosptials in this also. IMO polticians do not care about front line EMS such as EMTs and Medics. Only time they do is during election time then we are forgotten. The truth of matter is people will find a way to the hosptial, It will take a collapse of care at the hosptial to happen before anything is done. Here in Westchester just wait until "The Big One" happens when there is a few hundred patents and many of them traumatic. Besides the EMS system here not being able to handle it, the bigger question is can the Hosptials here handle it. Can WMC handle a dozen trauma pts at one time. Can any hosptial handle this much. How many hospitals here can handle an extra 30-40 pts with various different injuries from one incident on top of there normal work load for the day. Like the last post form Westchester the whole EMS system is on the edge. I hope the collapse does not come while I am still living here.

Edited by calhobs