Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
v85

PCR Writing

9 posts in this topic

From the topic on the radio reports:

How many people were taught in EMT class how to write a PCR?

When I took my class, we went over it and had a mock PCR to do as homework. I know in a couple of the classes before mine though, they did not teach how to write a PCR

Yeah I think with the time they have they are unable to go in depth with PCRs during the documentation section. They expect you to learn it in the field. I was able to learn from at least 20 different EMS providers different techniques to do a PCR and I have developed my out. Some of it went out the window when I started doing ePCRs unfortunately. I probably couldn't do a paper one right now without some difficulty.

during my original cert class we breezed over the topic with a few slides on a power point. It wasn't until I started working for pay in EMS that I actually learned how to write one. In the FDNY EMS academy you have a lecture to familiarize you with the paper acr (when I went through at least, all boroughs are using tablets now except for the Bx) and after each scenario you would have to write up a pcr, which would then be reviewed and critiqued. I had to do a paper pcr for a RMA the other day with my FD, and it was a little confusing because I hadn't filled out one of our paper pcrs in years.

crcocr1 likes this

A lot of skills are only touched on in training courses because there isn't enough time to do them justice. You have to learn them on the job or in other training. Westchester used to offer CME type programs for stuff like this but they weren't well attended.

Documentation is critical but we don't teach enough about it.

Negligent Documentation and Transportation are the two areas where most EMTs find themselves in the middle of a legal case yet it is often breezed over by most classes with the adage "If you didn't write it, you didn't do it." Speaking legally, there is more to it than "If you didn't write it, you didn't do it."

Documentation matters to the health care providers whom you turn over care as well as to law enforcement officials. As a prosecutor, I have used documentation in domestic violence cases and simple assault cases. As a hospital worker, I have seen docs review documentation when there is a discrepency between one person's account to an injury and their initial presentation to the ER.

If New York State took this portion of the EMT class more seriously and adopted a much more practical method to teaching Documentation as CFFD suggests, we all would be better served. To make that change happen, I would be more than happy to assist in any way permissible.

Excellent topic for discussion, and very good point that should be addressed and given more attention than what it actually gets during the EMT-B Class. Surprised it is only

briefly discussed and touched on. Yet this is probably the most critical part of the job of an EMT. It becomes part of the patients medical record, as well is considered a legal

document. Especially if your ever subpoenaed to court. Any EMT instructor's reading this, might want to give this document a little more time than what the average instructor

affords it.

Excellent topic for discussion, and very good point that should be addressed and given more attention than what it actually gets during the EMT-B Class. Surprised it is only

briefly discussed and touched on. Yet this is probably the most critical part of the job of an EMT. It becomes part of the patients medical record, as well is considered a legal

document. Especially if your ever subpoenaed to court. Any EMT instructor's reading this, might want to give this document a little more time than what the average instructor

affords it.

I think you'll find that almost every EMT instructor agrees with you. They will also agree there are probably 30-40 other topics worthy of additional instruction. So the question is are you willing to take an EMT course that is 600 hours long instead of 200?

No? You're not? That's too long for an EMT course? Well then, I guess we better cut back to the bare minimums so we appease everyone.

EMT Instructors don't have a lot of flexibility. It's not like college professors who can tailor the course to suit their interests or their audience. It's a national curriculum, administered by the state, and course sponsors can't afford to add much to it without incurring additional expenses and pissing off the students.

EMTBrian likes this

VelcroMedic,

I wholeheartedly agree, concur and understand exactly what your saying here. There is definitely alot of subject matters to cover in so little time to address them.

Perhaps oversight on my part to remember it is the "State" that designs the curriculum, not the instructors. As for increasing the class to 600hr's? That is asking a bit

much. The class I was in, some had a hard enough time keeping to the minimum acceptable excused absences.

I think you'll find that almost every EMT instructor agrees with you. They will also agree there are probably 30-40 other topics worthy of additional instruction. So the question is are you willing to take an EMT course that is 600 hours long instead of 200?

No? You're not? That's too long for an EMT course? Well then, I guess we better cut back to the bare minimums so we appease everyone.

EMT Instructors don't have a lot of flexibility. It's not like college professors who can tailor the course to suit their interests or their audience. It's a national curriculum, administered by the state, and course sponsors can't afford to add much to it without incurring additional expenses and pissing off the students.

I also would agree but in actuality, barring gross negligence in care, the EMT can be sued successfully for negligent documentation and for negligent transportation. Personally, I find documentation to be the hallmark of good clinical care; however, in the end, it also marks the beginning of CYA philsophy. A little pull to protect the EMT might be warranted, with some homework and the addition of one to two hours tops to go over that documentation. In the alternative, perhaps a field training requirement for new EMTs, or another alternative to make sure the EMT is learning and the patient is recieving quality care.