Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
38ff

Looking for TIC info.

15 posts in this topic

I am looking for a decent deneral purpose TIC. Im not looking for "TV broadcast" abilities, or 200 different colors on the screen breaking down temperatures into 1/10th of a degree for hazmat spills.

I just want a basic, bombproof and reasonably priced TIC for general firefighting use.. I am checking out the Scott Eagle Attack currently.

Any suggestions/info?

firemoose827 likes this

We had 2 different generation of the Bullards, some donated ISI camaras (do not take these even if donated) and replaced them on every rig last year with the scott. Great little camera

I am looking for a decent deneral purpose TIC. Im not looking for "TV broadcast" abilities, or 200 different colors on the screen breaking down temperatures into 1/10th of a degree for hazmat spills.

I just want a basic, bombproof and reasonably priced TIC for general firefighting use.. I am checking out the Scott Eagle Attack currently.

Any suggestions/info?

I can vouch for the Eagle Attack camera, we just recently purchased one a year ago, and its perfect for general firefighting use and also has enough to use for search and rescue if needed and other applications. Its small, charger mounts on truck with spare battery, its easy to use and idiot proof, and very rugged; we had one guy crawl on the floor with the TIC in his hand putting his weight on the unit as he crawled then told him to focus on an object, the image was still clear and the unit held. We have used it a few times already; once at an accident scene where there was no vic in the truck. We used the camera on the seats and saw that only the drivers seat was warm so we new we had one vic and we found him with the TIC in the field lying in a tree line hiding because he was drunk, had a busted ankle but he got about 250 yards from the wreck before the camera and the search dog found him. Great little camera. Highly reccomend them. If you need a gas meter too, use the Scott Protege 4 gas meter; another perfect unit for general use.

Good luck with the shopping, hope this helps.

Moose

We have a Scott Protoge 4 gas meter, it worked out well for us.

Edited by 38ff

Don't buy a camera because you think the meter is good. Not even the same animal! Call these guys, http://www.safe-ir.com/ ask them what they think first. They use them and teach them daily, and by use I mean actually go to fires with them.

Thats not what I meant. It was badly worded statement. I should of said I have been impressed with Scott's products in general. I will check out the link you provided, they are 20 minutes away from us. Thank you.

Edited by 38ff

The lady at Safe IR was very informative, I have much more research to do. Thank you for the link. Safe IR does not recommend any particular unit/brand, as the lady informed me.

Edited by 38ff

The two main officers if thats what you call them are very very experienced guys that know this stuff inside and out. They also teach it at First Line Supervisors Training Program for NYS that is held in NYC. If you can get access to one of their classes be sure to take it.

38ff likes this

Also look at the new NFPA spec. They had a lot to do with the spec, and I would take the class before you buy. You will get to see the tech behind gthem and get some ideas. I actually like the image on the old large msa unit. However no one uses that tech anymore.

Reach out to AAA Emergency Supply too - they're knowledgeable on these products as well. (914) 949-0512.

Regarding the vendors, keep in mind that they have their own axe to grind: Each one sells a specific product-line and it is unlikely that they will will recommend a competitor's TIC. While I have much respect for AAA and their professionalism, my recommendation is to do two things:

1. Speak with those who use the various TICs under challenging conditions on a regular basis: FDNY, Yonkers, FDNR, Bridgeport, Newark, etc. and get feedback from them about the various TICs (good & bad).

2. Arrange for an evening where you can demo several different TICs at the same time in the Class A pod at the fire academy, and allow your company officers to evaluate them hands-on.

At the end of the day, the opportunity for your front-line officers to compare under realistic conditions is the best way to select the best TIC for the way you operate.

Good luck & stay safe!

Dinosaur likes this

Don't buy a camera because you think the meter is good. Not even the same animal! Call these guys, http://www.safe-ir.com/ ask them what they think first. They use them and teach them daily, and by use I mean actually go to fires with them.

Not to sway from the OP's original purpose of this thread, but lol; glad you brought up Safe-IR. I literally just got home from the 2nd day of their TIC training. It was a two day course comprised of 1 full day of classroom and camera familiarization and 1 full day of practical evolution's at the FTC.

Bob Athanas from R3 was our instructor and he was excellent in every aspect.

I'd highly recommend anyone to contact them and look into the course. It truly opened my eyes and made me think outside of the box when it comes to TIC applications.

Edited by BFD1054
CFI609D and Newburgher like this

Not to sway from the OP's original purpose of this thread, but lol; glad you brought up Safe-IR. I literally just got home from the 2nd day of their TIC training. It was a two day course comprised of 1 full day of classroom and camera familiarization and 1 full day of practical evolution's at the FTC.

Bob Athanas from R3 was our instructor and he was excellent in every aspect.

I'd highly recommend anyone to contact them and look into the course. It truly opened my eyes and made me think outside of the box when it comes to TIC applications.

Their program is outstanding. You cannot do much better.

BFD1054 likes this

So what TICs are people using and happy with that are currently availible?