Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tommyguy

Explosion Levels North Stamford Home

10 posts in this topic

Fire officials believe a buildup of propane gases in a basement area from a faulty underground propane tank set off a massive explosion that destroyed a million-dollar North Stamford home Tuesday afternoon.

According to officials with knowledge of the investigation, the homeowner, Guiseppe “Joe” Cardillo, 54, told police that just before the explosion he had mowed the lawn and sat down to have a sandwich. He then went out into the backyard and lit a cigarette. Cardillo told investigators that as soon as he lit the cigarette, the house exploded, officials said

Link

The explosion was reported in a 911 call at 1:54 p.m. Tuesday, and responding fire crews found the home leveled and debris scattered in a 400-foot radius on the property. Nearby homes were damaged as well.

No hydrants were in the area. Tanker trucks from Stamford, New Canaan and Pound Ridge, N.Y., filled up at a nearby pond and delivered water to the property to put out the blaze.

Link

The propane remaining in the tank, which was only used to heat a swimming pool, was burned off in a process that took over twenty-four hours.

JetPhoto likes this

I have read articles relating to this in the past few days. A lot of mis-information likely to induce sensationalism in the press.

Who got lucky enough to baby sit the flaring of the tank for 24 hrs? I'll have to see if I can find more info as to why they didn't just pump the remaining gas.

Anybody on here that was at the scene or has direct knowledge of the incident, please, e-mail me.

I don't want to make light of this but...

According to officials with knowledge of the investigation, the homeowner, Guiseppe “Joe” Cardillo, 54, told police that just before the explosion he had mowed the lawn and sat down to have a sandwich. He then went out into the backyard and lit a cigarette. Cardillo told investigators that as soon as he lit the cigarette, the house exploded, officials said.

Sounds like Mrs. Cardillo doesn't allow Joe to smoke inside the house. I can relate to that because my wife doesn't allow it either. So stepping outside to smoke that butt presumably saved his life. Of course it may've also destroyed their home.

I wonder how Mrs. Cardillo will see this? :unsure:

ARI1220 likes this

I have read articles relating to this in the past few days. A lot of mis-information likely to induce sensationalism in the press.

Who got lucky enough to baby sit the flaring of the tank for 24 hrs? I'll have to see if I can find more info as to why they didn't just pump the remaining gas.

Anybody on here that was at the scene or has direct knowledge of the incident, please, e-mail me.

What I wonder about is the 'no hydrants.' Does anyone know if Pound Ridge did send a tanker? Anybody else?

50-65...can you enlighten us on how you would have handled the "gas pumping" at the scene?

What I wonder about is the 'no hydrants.' Does anyone know if Pound Ridge did send a tanker? Anybody else?

There was not a hydrant in the immediate area of the residence, the closest one was almost a mile away. Tanker was used from several surrounding communities.

There was not a hydrant in the immediate area of the residence, the closest one was almost a mile away. Tanker was used from several surrounding communities.

ToR - Tanker 68

LRFCo - Tankers 73 & 78

Pound Ridge - 1 tanker

New Canaan - 1 tanker

Banksville - 2 tankers

+ Westchester County Batt 16 along with 411 as WSO's

Edited by FFPCogs
tommyguy likes this

50-65...can you enlighten us on how you would have handled the "gas pumping" at the scene?

Since I wasn't there, and still trying to find out specifics, there are a lot of variables. However, with that being said, IF the tank, which I have come to understand was a 500 gal (I believe it was an underground tank) , was not significantly compromised, it is possible, with proper training and equipment, to evacuate the liquid propane from the tank. If the tank was "full" (80% = 400 gal), this could be done in under an hour.

There are ways, even if the tank is compromised, to remove the gas from the tank. Flaring the gas is done often, however, it is also the most time consuming.

In NY, the NYPGA (NY Propane Gas Association) maintains a list of trained responders. Each county 911 center has this list and can call the nearest responder.

Again, if anyone can provide me with more specifics on the situation, I'd appreciate it.

Since I wasn't there, and still trying to find out specifics, there are a lot of variables. However, with that being said, IF the tank, which I have come to understand was a 500 gal (I believe it was an underground tank) , was not significantly compromised, it is possible, with proper training and equipment, to evacuate the liquid propane from the tank. If the tank was "full" (80% = 400 gal), this could be done in under an hour.

There are ways, even if the tank is compromised, to remove the gas from the tank. Flaring the gas is done often, however, it is also the most time consuming.

In NY, the NYPGA (NY Propane Gas Association) maintains a list of trained responders. Each county 911 center has this list and can call the nearest responder.

Again, if anyone can provide me with more specifics on the situation, I'd appreciate it.

If its underground, how would you determine if its been compromised?

While it takes longer, its the primary option if there is anything wrong with the tank, plumbing or valves.

Unless you were there to see the situation with the propane tank you could armchair it to death.

If pumping it out was an option being there was a debris field from what was once a house would it have been feasible?

If the tank was compromised to the extent that the tank its self was leaking, would it have been wise to pressurize it more in order to pump out the remaining product?

If the multi -valve assembly was damaged to a point that you couldn't plug the openings pumping wouldn't be feasible.

Sure, you could flare the tank, but you already had a gas fire. Not knowing what part of the system was burning, stopping the flow of gas may not have been an option.