Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Metro North New Haven Line Power Outage in Mount Vernon

6 posts in this topic

It's been a crappy year for Metro North, especially commuters on the New Haven line!

It's now said this power outage that's causing service suspensions between Stamford and GCT could take 2-3 weeks to repair fully.

IMHO, Metro North should buy some "reserve" diesel locomotive and coaches for situations like this, even if they are used or reconditioned.

Special Service Notices

New Haven Line Service Alert Update: For the remainder of today, Wednesday, September 25, 2013, extremely limited train service using diesel locomotives on the New Haven Line will remain in effect between Stamford and Grand Central Terminal due to the loss of Con Edison feeders that supply traction power to the NHL electric fleet.

This is already shaping up to be a real nightmare. I myself commute to school on the Metro North's New Haven line four days a week from the Bridgeport, CT area to New Rochelle, NY, round trip and this will really be throwing a giant wrench into the works for me. Additionally, one of the travel problems caused by this outage is the severe traffic on the highways. Today, I had to drive the round trip from my house in Fairfield County to New Rochelle and the traffic on the Merritt Pkwy.(CT Rte. 15) and I-95(CT Tpke.) was absolutely brutal, and it's supposed to only get worse tonight and into tomorrow. There seems to be no end in sight, at least for the coming weeks.

CT Post Article:

http://www.ctpost.com/news/article/Metro-North-disruption-could-last-weeks-ConEd-4841862.php

Best part is they are telling people to find alternate ways to Grand Central, This after tell people to use mass transit and not drive because of the UN General Assembly this week.

Any idea's what happened to the coned equipment? I know the secondary line was down for scheduled maintenance...