Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
87D124

New Dodge Van Style

12 posts in this topic

Both look like re-badged Sprinter. I've seen Sprinter bodies with crew seating and a utility body that could be converted with little trouble into a chief's vehicle or a mini-pumper or light rescue

Here is the new Ford Van coming out for 2015. It is unibody construction. I wonder how it will effect converting this van into an ambulance.

http://www.ford.com/commercial-trucks/transit/

Not much. Europeans have been converting the Ford Transit for years.

It is only new to us like the Dodge.

Jeff

Neither are dually.. :huh: I think the chassis cab market will prevail but that's just my .02

The Ford is available with Dual rear wheels. Took about 15 seconds to find it on their website.

The Ford is available with Dual rear wheels. Took about 15 seconds to find it on their website.

An E-Series or a Transit?

looks like it will be safer in a crash then converting the Ecoline vans and putting that fiberglass roof on them. time will tell

The new 2015 style. Go to the ford link listed above, then build the biggest cutaway you can find. It will come out with dual rear wheels.

Sorry...yes, it's a transit.

voltage1256 likes this

Both the new Ford and Ram commercial vans are part of the move by global automotive manufacturers to have one global product line. You will see less and less vehicles developed just for one country or market. The new Ram ProMaster Van is just a rebranded FIAT Ducato, which makes sense that FIAT now owns Chrysler and not Mercedes-Benz (which is why the Sprinter van was a re-badge of the M-B van). The new Ford Transit, that replaces the North America-only Econoline, is based on the same platform that Ford has been selling everywhere else for many decades.

As far as conversion goes, Europeans have been converting Ford Transits since they first appeared in the 1950's. I don't think that this is ending anytime soon, its just that the conversion builders will have to do some R&D and re-tooling around the new models. One might just not want to be the first customer to buy one...

M-B still sells their van under the M-B brand in the US as well as under the Freightliner brand (a M-B Subsidiary). Nissan now has their NV series commercial van in the US market, which is also more of a global market style van (based on a Renault design, which has a global partnership with Nissan). Toyota has been floating the idea of also bringing a commercial van to the US market. The only truly NA-only commercial van left in the US is the Chevrolet/ GMC van, which is based on a platform that is decades old and hasn't seen much in the way of updating in quite some time. One might expect to see a GM Europe design commercial van showing up in North America in the not too distant future if Ford, Ram, et al, eat away at GM's market share with their newer designs. So if your department/ agency really prefers the current GM van chassis, now might be the time to start getting your specs together.

Looks like they are fully integrating their European Van lines in the USA.