Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hudson144

Fast Teams- RIT

34 posts in this topic

No, yes, no, yes.

And of course we should.

Edited by SageVigiles

Here's a question that fits this thread.

When you do live fire training, do you

1. Train new or up and coming IC's along with your Chiefs?

2. Plan a surprise simulated Mayday to which the IC must react? (e.g. an inside officer at a given time calls a Mayday-collapse- members trapped)

3. Do you do this simulated Mayday before a FAST team arrives? (so that the 2-OUT and the on-scene personnel must be utilized)

4. Do you critique the events?

Do you think you should?

To answer your final question, Chief: absolutely!

Excellent points/questions here. Sadly, I see very few FDs approach FAST training in a realistic or honest way. And when I say honest, I mean tackling a scenario with resources akin to what they will actually be responding with.

Thank you for sharing this!

wraftery likes this

If you are going to train, you have to train on what you have as a FD. If your first due is two guys in a pickup truck, that's what your scenario has to start with.

Try using a control man to send in resources in the time frame that they should appear on-scene. In other words, start with the two in the pickup truck. If the next due is a mile behind an engine with four, start them in the evolution about a minute later. You have to make it as realistic as possible using the resources available. It's OK to use Phantom resources but you have to limit them to resources you actually have available to you.

You can do things like "simulate a mutual aid Truck on scene and is venting the roof" then open the training building's roof hatch. But you cant call for an air drop if the closest aircraft is 500 miles away.

Try it. Your people will get a more realistic training session and might actually like it. What's more, when they get to a fire, they know what they have available

CFI609D and SageVigiles like this

I agree Syd and Andy, but with the inclusion of Firefighter II also.

The bottom line is that FF I is not adequate on its own for combat-ready interior firefighters. There should be no difference in training for career and volunteer, nor requirements to operate as interior or on a FAST unit. FF I, FF II, Survival, and FAST should all be minimum requirements here as they are in other jurisdictions.

I agree with most of what you are saying. My point, however, is that before even starting to worry about special operations, etc. we need to get our line firefighters better trained, better drilled, and better prepared. FAST training is very important but too many FDs are cutting corners and not spending enough time on the fundamentals.

FAST / RIT is not supposed to be a special op's resource or a special team, county team, select group of folks who are trained differently or to a higher level than other firefighters, etc. FAST / RIT skills are necessary for EVERY firefighter every bit as much as any other firefighting essential functions are. When a MAYDAY is transmitted, IMMEDIATE action by knowledgeable, skilled firefighters is required. FAST / RIT operations are often required very early on during an incident, obviously we all need to be ready to perform appropriately and immediately when a firefighter requires assistance due to entrapment or medical condition while in a hazardous location. FAST / RIT training absolutely needs to be a requirement for new firefighters prior to certification. Currently certified firefighters who are not FAST / RIT certified should be required to attend the course and become certified. Firefighting is not a game, a passtime or a hobby, it's about life and death. Those who don't see it that way need to find a different calling.

Amen...Amen...AMEN!!

We need the same training period...across the board...Im tired of seeing young FF's fresh out of FF1 get all cocky and arrogant and forget about traditions and experience. Just because you have FF1 doesnt mean you are ready to rock, something I have said for a while now. I am a level II FF but I got mine the old way; I had to take essentials, Fire Attack, FA II, ladder ops, haz mat, pump ops, and a bunch of others.

Training needs to improve...

bad box likes this