Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tbendick

New FDNY Satelites start production at Ferrara

14 posts in this topic

Ferrara has begun production on FDNY's new Satelite units. You can follow along with the following units at this time.

I've noticed over the past year or so now I think, FDNY has been ordering several ferrara pumpers then the collapse recues and now new satelite trucks. Any reason behind FDNY going to Ferrara now? Is it maybe they are trying to save some money when buying apparatus?

there going to be different from sat1 thats weired

Ferarra makes really good bodies, as opposed to really good chassis. They probably went with the low bid.

why only two i thought they were going to replace all of it

I know alot of depts. are now going with ferrara because they are cheaper. but if they wanna spend less money in a truck why not buy something from a reliable company. I'd prefer see them buy Pierce. Now that would be a beautiful sight to see in NYC. Pierce trucks would make a nice touch to one of the biggest fire depts going

From a formerly 90% Pierce dept--they are not what they used to be. The quality is still outstanding--the craftsmenship is not what it was. Want cheap--go with KME--thats cheap. They are really hot right now--the question is how for how long and how will they all hold up???Don't know if it would last in the city either

o know there are few members more knowledgeable when it comes to the strengths and weaknesses of apperatus, but from what I understand, the FDNY ferrara's ahve been holding their own both chassis and bodies. Also, I believe the sattelites are ferrara bodies on macks. As for pierce...just like PVFD said they aren't waht tehy use to be. Simple things like the manufacure process for their chassis, the wirring, the attachment methods they use at certain critical junctions just don't compare to what other companies are doing. I don't believe price is the big factor. Other compnaies build for less. Besides, if you want to keep a company from winning an open bid there are many ways to go about doing is. Ferrara rigth now is just giving alot of people the best truck for their mopney right now.

I guess Saulsbery? has really gone down since the merger with E-One

I know alot of depts. are now going with ferrara because they are cheaper. but if they wanna spend less money in a  truck why not buy something from a reliable company. I'd prefer see  them buy Pierce. Now that would be a beautiful sight to see in NYC. Pierce trucks would make a nice touch to one of the biggest fire depts going

THE biggest fire dept......and Seagrave is Kind, no non-sense, no bells and whistles.

haha my mistake..it is also the best even with an idiot for commisioner..I'm a big fan of seagrave especially with the aerialscopes the city buys, but no one up my way runs them. Hopefully next year I do good on the test so i can ride the seagraves

1. The reason why FDNY is not buying from Pierce is simply because Pierces' policy is "we'll build anything you want as long as we can build it in 6 1/2 hours". That's as far as they were willing to go to accomodate FDNY. That's also why their build quality has gone down hill.

2. As far as Ferrara goes: when Ferrara came to FDNY they said "what do we need to do to build apparatus for FDNY" They were shown what FDNY requires of thier apparatus and Ferrara said "Ok, we got it" Not only did they meet the requirements, but in some cases they exceeded them! So far they have done 29 pieces for FDNY and I feel confident that they will do more. Ferrara is very upcoming and innovative and they are committed to becoming a leader as an apparatus manufacturer. Chris Ferrara has a great product and a very dedicated team, if I were you I'd keep a close eye on them! Stay tuned..........................

6 1/2 hours ? What does that mean ?

6 1/2 hours ?  What does that mean ?

It means, down the assembly line 6 1/2 hours, start to finish.