Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Common Paid FF Standards in Westchester?

12 posts in this topic

I'm currently a FF in Myrtle Beach, SC and I plan on moving back home (born in Mt. Kisco, lived in Somers untill '95) and I was trying to find out what some of the common qualifications were around Westchester. For example: in Horry County Fire Rescue, career FF's are req'd to have NREMT-B, NFPA FF2, and meet a couple little benign local standards. I am currently a NREMT-B, NFPA FF1, I have a handful of NFA classes and a ton of SCFA stuff that I assume wont equal anything up there. I would really appreciate some feedback on this as far as what other classes might be sought after (Haz-Mat Tech, IFSAC D/O, etc.). I allready am planning on taking advantage of the next availible EMT-Intermediate class in hopes of it helping my chances up there. Ok, paid guy stuff being said and all, I also have a few questions as to what Somers FD requires to be a volunteer. I've viewed the website and read what info I could but I still am interested in finding out as much information as I can. What is required to drive an engine, a tower, a rescue, etc? What brand of bunker gear do you use? What make of airpack do you wear? I'm a big fan of gathering all info about a situation before diving into it and moving to an area with rent in the $1,500's is such a situation. If anyone out there has any feedback I would definetley appreciate it.

Thanks a ton,

James

James,

NY has been moving to to National Standard certs since 2000, so your stuff from SC is transferable. NY already accepts any NPQS or older NPQB certs as well as IFSAC certs.

It appears that you already meet what the Somers FD requires to be an interior firefighter.

As far being a driver you need DDC, EVOC, then the specific A/O course A/O-P for Engines and A/O-AD for the Ladder

We are currently using Quaker gear made from Advantex, but we are in the process of re-specing and re-bidding, hopefully going back to Globe (Extreme)

We currently use Scott, and are upgrading everything to Scott-Fifty with the intergrated PASS, as an interior FF, you will be issued your own mask.

Any other questions PM me or e-mail me at somersfdchief@optonline.net

Thank you sir.

I'm planing on calling the NYS Training Academy regarding any reciprocity for my local certifications, although I'm a glutton for training so I wouldn't mind taking the NYS classes if even just as a refresher. The other question I have is how is the working relationship between paid and volunteer firefighters. I've worn both shoes and prefer volunteering far more, but where I am now volunteers are viewed as second class and not as capable as career FFs. Personally, I believe the standard conduct of EVERY firefighter should be that he/she is a "Professional" firefighter. Call volume, station training, salary and golf skills are irrelevant. My station is currently all volunteer with the exception of a paid ALS ambulance. This is sadly coming to an end on June 18th. A paid crew will be transferring to our quarters to "cross-man" our engines (2), brush/squad truck, and tower ladder. Being volunteers, we are nearly always pushed aside when attempting to work with the paid guys. We meet, and in some cases exceed, their qualifications but are to be left at the station to staff secondary apparatus in the event of a call. We put in countless hours to staff our pieces with volunteers 24-7 and are rewarded with nicknames like "ticks" and "squirrels." It is sad that volunteers are treated this way, but it is the way of the south. They dont see us as lower taxes, they see us as higher homeowners' insurance. I pray that the situation back home is not as grim. I truly love volunteering for my community. Nothing would please me more than getting do to so back home.

Thank you,

James

.   My station is currently all volunteer with the exception of a paid ALS ambulance. This is sadly coming to an end on June 18th. A paid crew will be transferring to our quarters to "cross-man" our engines (2), brush/squad truck, and tower ladder.  

Thank you,

James

That is the sign of the times- Some Fire apparatus just doesn't get out for the calls anymore, and if no one shows up, What is the commuity to do. They will have to pay for the Fire service.

If you were to listern to Westchester County Fire Depts. there are many times some Depts, just don't get apparatus out on a response, and they tone out over and over for a response.

.   My station is currently all volunteer with the exception of a paid ALS ambulance. This is sadly coming to an end on June 18th. A paid crew will be transferring to our quarters to "cross-man" our engines (2), brush/squad truck, and tower ladder.  

Thank you,

James

That is the sign of the times- Some Fire apparatus just doesn't get out for the calls anymore, and if no one shows up, What is the commuity to do. They will have to pay for the Fire service.

If you were to listern to Westchester County Fire Depts. there are many times some Depts, just don't get apparatus out on a response, and they tone out over and over for a response.

pbvpm,

You must remember that if FD's are to pay, they must do it properly. Responding with insuffcient manpower just to get an apparatus out the door is still a very large safety issue. Just because an apparatus gets out the door does not mean it is all good. There are issues on boths sides of the equation, but we must figure out how to get the proper, trained staffing there quickly no matter what the situation is and put egos aside.

But I divert. That's not what this thread is about.

James,

Be careful about what you say about HCFR paid.You never know who is reading these.O.K. "gambler"!

Medic315

James, if i could do it all over again i would not have came back to NY< i lived in the south for almost 4 yrs while serving in the USAF, if it wasn't for having family back here i most certainly would have stayed south. if you can land a job down there stay! ny is way too exspensive for a firefighter to live, try to get on down there and enjoy the sun and sand!!!!!!!!!!

Ditto for me also. I should've stayed in Virginia, however once I retire...vero beach here I come. :)

Same for me- Should have stayed in VA!

Well, as the saying goes- hind sight is 20/20!!

But Sir, home is still home.

I'm faced with a decision to make between over-working myself just enough to break even (broke) but be where I grew up, or live comfortably grabbing a little OT here and there in an area where I really dont want my kids (none yet, c'mon I'm only 24) to grow up in. My desire to move home is only partially financial, about 20%. This area [Myrtle Beach, SC] is relatively new to the fire service, which means promotion opporitunities are abundant in response to growth and expansion, but we're not exactly fishing from a big pond. I no longer believe my safety or that of my fellow firefighters is among the top priorities of some incident commanders. I've had two incidents where I was ordered to enter structures DURRING their collapse. I was even told by one officer later "You need to do a Risk-Benefit analysis, then you'll understand." Both incidents were followed by demolission and rebuilding. Such is the case with many fires in our area. Partially due to modern construction methods and the high volumes of mobile homes but also the youth of our department(s). Some officers even accuse people of freelancing to shift blame away from their own bad decisions. I've tried to implement a practice of "We will take great calculated risk to save life, we will take some risk to save property, but we will take no risk to save life or prperty already lost to fire." This suggestion is usually met with laughs and other FFs accusing me of being "scared." Well, after self examination and assessment of some of those charged with overseeing my operations and safety, I am. I pride myself in my devotion to this job and taking appropriate steps to keep myself and my fellow FFs from suffering injury. I am not afraid of taking risks, but I dont want to have my name on a plaque at the State Fire Academy be the end result of a fire in an abandonned mobile home scheduled for removal anyway. Running a fire department isn't an easy task, I understand, but certain bugs can only be worked out through time. Unfortunately, most progress is spawned by reaction to local demographic and socio-economic change. You've (Somers FD) been changing for 75 years. The issues my department struggles through today, you've dealt with over fifty years ago. Trust me, that instills a great deal of confidence. But I'm "Soap-Box"ing, plus I got a handful of NFIRS to finish.

Stay safe.

I've had two incidents where I was ordered to enter structures DURRING their collapse. I was even told by one officer later "You need to do a Risk-Benefit analysis, then you'll understand."

Hmmm.. :-k

What benefit would there be entering a structure about to collapse??? #-o

I'm all for taking risk for saving lives but this is stupid. If the structure is showing signs of weakness, it's not being saved. At that point, protect the exposures, worry about the pile later.

as for your comments about being called "ticks, or squrreirls"

Im sorry that you find that ofensive, im carreer and i volunteer, and if somebody called me that i would laugh. I cant believe you come on this web site and bash the department you volunteer for. Theses people have no clue about the dept. and you just tell them all the bad things that you have been threw with this dept. You forgot to tell them that you live at your firehouse rent free not to mention a brand new station, you get paid $10 a call so your makin maybe a $1000 a month give or take with the call volume , paid training, the dept has paid for most if not all of your classes. Oh you even get to do your laundry for free. Now if your so worried about safety and your officers telling you to do somthing you dont feel safe doing why did you and why do you do it? why dont you test for officer? I think your full of sh*t that soembody sent you in a collapseing building

James You may not like the career guys and they may not like you because of your actions your imaturity sometimes, i have not wittnessed any of your actions but ive heard stories, and i dont hold them against you. maybe you need to vollunteer at another staion, in the country maybe see how things operate out there. The carrer and vollies have a great relashonship many are great friends.

As for the dept. i have been here 2 years now and i have sen the dept grow in postitive ways. Yes the dept. is very young and yes we need to get alot of things worked out and that will happen in time, Im glad i moved out of westchester and im glad i moved here no regrets, do i miss home? yes sometimes but i will never move back there.

You really dont know how good you have it down here