Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Why Doesn't Yonkers FD Participate In Parades Outside City?

20 posts in this topic

Why doesn't the City Of Yonkers Fire Department participate in Parades outside of the City Of Yonkers??

They march on St. Patrick's Day in NYC every year

I guess someone figures they are being paid to protect yonkers. Where are you going to put a crew while a rig is in a parade?

Maybe some of the Paid Members of YFD, might be willing to "Volunteer" their spare/off duty time to participate in a parade (along with their fellow brothers from other cities and towns) while those who are on the normal hift could man the station with a Spare Rig, while the Front Line Rig is out on a Parade, showing off Yonkers Finest? Just a thought?

Why would Yonkers take a front line rig out of service for a parade. I'm sure the majority of taxpayers want the rigs they paid for to respond to their home or business in case of emergency. In my opinion the best available equipment

should never be taken out of service for a parade.

When Yonkers rigs participate in a Yonkers parade they remain in service and are always last in line so they can respond

to an emergency if one arises.

Here's a dumb question...

Does anyone bother to invite them to anything?

Maybe that's why you never see them.

I think most people know on this site that for the most part

Professional ff's and volunteers don't march in the same

parades.

I think most people know on this site that for the most part Professional ff's and volunteers don't march in the same  

parades

This is true.. Funny thing is last year I saw an FDNY rig in a Westchester parade.

do you know which westchester parade?

do you know which westchester paraFde?
FDNY Engine 97 was in The Village of Mamaroneck FD Parade last year . The VMFD covered FDNY E97 duning the 1st few days following 9-11 The chief invited them up for the parade

"I think most people know on this site that for the most part

Professional ff's and volunteers don't march in the same

parades."

Perhaps, although Hartsdale participated in the Pleasantville parade this week.

The Hartsdale Vol participated with a padid driver. They will also be at the VM parade in a couple weeks. Does the Town of Mammaro particpate in the parade also.

Yes they do

FDNY members lead the Hudson Valley Parade in Lake George after 9/11 carring a huge American Flag.

Professionals and Volunteers don't march together?

First off, it's CAREER.

Secondly, many CAREER firefighters participate in many parades. I know that in Peekskill you see both the Volunteers and Career guys participating in City Parades. As for going out of town, probably a cost thing or a lack of invitation from the neighboring volunteers who refuse to be "professional" and invite everyone - without discrimination by paycheck!

Lastly, who cares who shows up where? Parades are far too competitive anymore. Bring back the fun - eliminate trophies and go do it for the people!

Lastly, who cares who shows up where? Parades are far too competitive anymore. Bring back the fun - eliminate trophies and go do it for the people!

Well said...

Bring back the fun - eliminate trophies and go do it for the people!

I feel a new thread: What would you like to see eliminated? (in the lounge)

Amen John, very well said! Parades are getting way out of hand any more! Guys get their panties in a twist if someone is out of step or if they don't get a trophy. I love when guys try to point fingers and blame when they don't win a trophy, what a bunch of babies lol! It kills me that we (volunteer & career) firefighters dedicate or time & our lives to our communities, but we can't have fun at parades! Funny...i thought parades were meant for our communities! Just this past weekend i marched in Montrose & Croton. You can't help but notice all of the people, many of them children, lining the sides of the streets to cheer you on. I'll be the first to admit that i love that! Thats what its all about! But yet we can't wave or smile at our friends, relatives and strangers that watch us march because it may cause us a trophy ](*,) ! Save the seriousness for the fireground, parades should be a fun time!

And the issue of career guys marching...who really cares, everyone is allowed to do whatever they want and don't want. And i've seen plenty of career FF's march in parades. And who says they have to bring apparatus? If a career or combo agency is invited, why can't their members just march? Hell, i'm sure plenty of career guys wouldn't mind marching if they were off duty for a parade! I went to this years St. Pats parade in NYC and ended up seeing a bunch of career guys from Westchester marching! We ended up in a bar that was about 95% filled with Firefighters! There were plenty of career guys there, but a few volunteers as well & wouldn't ya know we all got along just fine =D> !

With the urban renewal going on in yonkers who has time to march. Sorry i just had to say that LOL. I do agree parades should be fun (considering i march like a sober drunk) I want to be able to walk up to my wife at a parade and kiss her hello. I do it at the St Paddys parade every year. Whats funny is parades are for the comradity with our fellow firefighters and we cant even talk to each other during it. The funnist thing was during the Tarrytown FF's parade last year an other Lt from my company and I where the only officers from our Dept to march, Just the CHiefs and Deputies up front. Well she and i had a blast we laughed the whole march becasue i could not keep in step. I dont march to win I march because I am proud to be a firefighter, and to have a good time, and the free beer at the end.