x635

Air Force Training Excercises Over Lower Westchester Thursday

8 posts in this topic

" Please be advised that the U.S. Air Force will be conducting exercises over the Hudson River in the Bronx and Lower Westchester on THURSDAY, January 30TH at 4:30am in preparation for Super Bowl XLVIII. The exercise will consist of two (2) F-16 aircraft, one (1) Citation 550 aircraft and one (1) UH-60 helicopter over the river at an altitude between approximately 5,000 and 7,000 feet. While aircraft will not be able to be seen from the ground, they may be heard in affected areas. The exercise is expected to last for approximately one (1) hour, as the aircraft will conclude their exercises at Farmingdale Airport (LI). "

thanks, while running this morning I heard the sounds of jet engines to my south, but had NO clue what it was... we normally do not hear Westchester airport noise in Croton, so that was out... I was actually thinking Metro North was using their jet engine dryers ( for lack of the right name ) for tack work.... at least now I know...

x635 likes this

Do they usually have that many aircraft protecting a "No Fly" Zone for the Super Bowl? Because they don't usually practice flyovers.

Did you read the quoted article from the first post?

(*)

I believe this is not related for the Super Bowl.

It was somewhat related to the Super Bowl, more related to the TFR (temporary flight restriction) set up for Sunday. However, the USAF does participate in these drills across the country several times per year.

They had an interesting segment during last years Super Bowl pre game show about this. The Air Force said they do one or two practice runs to make sure they have the timing down for the end of the National Anthem. These practices and the fly over it self are scheduled during training missions or non war missions to save money.

I believe this was not for a fly over but a drill for any unexpected incursion in to the restricted air space. I forget which channel it was on but one of the local TV news had a feature on this with footage from the 'unidentified' plane and two USAF planes visible out of the plane. It was a pretty interesting piece.

The drill was conducted by the USAF in conjuction with the US Customs and Border Patrol, commanded through the USAF Air and Space Operations Center in Tyndall AFB, FL. The Appaches, Blackhawks, and the Chinook were provided by the Army for the fly over of the stadium (they did not practice at the same time as the USAF and CBP).

Source: An official memo from the USAF-AOC that came across my desk at the airport.