Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dondestro

Technology Upgrades in Fire Service

11 posts in this topic

I am looking for ideas for possible capital improvements technology wise for our department. I am looking into mapping/gis software witch could be interfaced with dispatch, also i am responding, radio controlled knox boxes for rigs,maybe even some new portable radios to replace our 10-15 year old radios we have.

ANyone have any other ideas?

I am not trying to build a wish list as much as items which could better the way we doing this by using technology.

Thanks in advance!

x635 likes this

Instead of I Am Responding, check out Spotted Dog. Much better program, and it does much more. We had IAR and dumped it after 2 years for SD and never looked back. Jason Fisch is a guy who does SD, and also a FF in the Hudson valley.

x635, SageVigiles and Dondestro like this

Along the same lines is the active911 system where the dispatch generated email leads to navigation responding and on scene tracking, hydrants, and preplans which checking out their prices seems very affordable. Many of these systems are giving the functionality that previously came only with toughbooks, AVLs and expensive software at fractions of the price.

x635 likes this

If you do any First Response or carry AEDs on your rig, Zoll AED Plus w/ CPR Feedback will allow you determine if you are doing adequate compressions and perfusion given the emphasis on quality CPR.

Zoll might even do a trade-in for your current AEDs.

Portable radios with Emergency Alert Button capabilities including the mic. This coinsides with the radios that can display the member talking/alerting.

We just rolled out E.F.A.S. & SIMS II

EFAS is electronic firefighter accountability system - It allows the CP to see what radios are on-scene, who is talking, signal radios to evacuate (and have them confirm who received it), do PAR check (and track who confirmed) and track maydays. Can also tell you if a radio battery is dying, or the radio has turned off or changed channels.

SIMS II (on Scott SCBA) - allows the CP to see how much air each member has, where they are operating & assignment (i.e. floor above, venting team), status of pass alarm, advise member that CP received Pass alarm activation, can signal SCBA to evacuate (and have them confirm who received it), Evacuation signal can be individual SCBA, an assignment or everyone.

x635 likes this

Instead of I Am Responding, check out Spotted Dog. Much better program, and it does much more. We had IAR and dumped it after 2 years for SD and never looked back. Jason Fisch is a guy who does SD, and also a FF in the Hudson valley.

Our department switched from I Am Responding to Spotted Dog a few years back. Couldn't be happier. As long as your CAD is modern enough to be hooked up to it you should be good to go.

MDTs with GIS capability are nice and all, but don't let them become a crutch for knowing your district and hydrant locations. I've fallen prey to that before.

I recommend changing halogen or strobe lights to LED lights on your department's rigs. LED lights will decrease the amount of energy used. I also find that LED lights are much more brighter.

No. Just no. Not even a little bit.

Unless your lights on your apparatus are not working, just changing them to change them to LED is a big waste of money.

Unless your lights on your apparatus are not working, just changing them to change them to LED is a big waste of money.

Agreed, however if replacing the rig, we found cost savings over strobe, but not over halogen. More important we found major savings in the fleet as we went LED on replacement bulbs.

EmsFirePolice likes this

CAD dispatch systems which will print out/show on MDT screens are great, but remember that you have to have someone who will input all the preplan bldg info; hydrant locations;FDC locations;etc into the system, after gathering it! In a career dept. the line companies can get the info while on bldg. inspection, or the fire prevention bureau can do some inp0.ut, but in a volunteer dept? I think its a rare volunteer dept that has the manpower/time/money/interest to do all the field work necessary (and keep it regularly updated

I was going to suggest LED scene lighting, but I have to explain something about high intensity LED lights. We have some at the Westchester Airport for taxiway edge lighting, and a downfall is corneal glare. When you look near the lights, you see an eight point star formation around the HILED, It's more annoying than anything, but the bright side (haha) is that HILEDs are extremely bright and allow for better visibility on the fire ground. Just don't face them towards the base of the house, just slightly upward like an aerial spotlight.