Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Anybody Kayak?

12 posts in this topic

I'm looking to get into Kayaking. I've never been, but have always wanted to. I hope to rent one and try one out on the ocean in Florida next week.

I'm also hoping to take a trip to a Kayak store either in CT or NJ for research. As far as I know, there are no good Kakak stores in the WC? Or a Kayak club?

Just looking to see if anybody on the board is into it, or has any advice for a newb, like what to do, where to go, etc.

Try EMS (Eastern Mountain Sports) in Eastchester I have three from them. Lots of fun in the Hudson or Sound.

I have gone a few times by the Tappan Zee bridge by that yacht club that is a nice place

Don't you find EMS overpriced, lack of selection and not knowledgeable though? They were so much better when they used to be in Ardsley...now they seem to just want to cater to the Yuppies.

I may take a trip to Campmor, Ramsey Outdoor or Dicks Sporting Goods...all seem to have great Kayak depts. Also, there is this great store in CT that is Kayak specific that allows you to "test drive" in a nearby lake as well...just picked up a magazine with tons of tri-state possibilities.

Can't you rent them in the Annsville circle?? By the old SP barracks

I'm looking to get into Kayaking. I've never been, but have always wanted to. I hope to rent one and try one out on the ocean in Florida next week.

I'm hurt. I guess you've never noticed the sticker on the back of my truck. :D

I'm also hoping to take a trip to a Kayak store either in CT or NJ for research. As far as I know, there are no good Kakak stores in the WC? Or a Kayak club?

I don't know of any Kayak stores in the WC but there is a decent one in Cold Spring called Hudson Valley Outfitters right on the main drag (Main st?). They have a decent selection and what they don't have they can order for you and steer you in the right direction. They aren't dedicated totally to Kayaking (they do hiking and general outdoors stuff too) like Lake George Kayak Company (located on Lake George in Bolton Landing near the Giant Resort Hotal [name slips my mind right now]).

You can rent Kayaks locally and try them out....there are various clubs. Atlantic Kayak Tours is more a club than a company. They run the kayak rentals out of Annsville Creek Paddlesports Center and have a ton of free courses to take and run a lot of tours for a nominal fee. Don't start in the ocean unless you are on a tour. If you are going to rent - go with at least a buddy. NEVER GO ALONE especially as a newbie.

Just looking to see if anybody on the board is into it, or has any advice for a newb, like what to do, where to go, etc.

I'd start by calling someone you know who is into Kayaking and go with them. HINT HINT. Rent locally and try it out. Start with calm water like a lake or river inlet with little to no currents. (Annsville Creek Inlet, Lake George, etc). Then move your way to waterways like the Hudson or the sound. Ocean Kayaking is probably the one of the last steps on the totem pole but if you want to do a tour and try it on the ocean first, be my guest. And later on - WHITE WATER. :D

I may take a trip to Campmor, Ramsey Outdoor or Dicks Sporting Goods...all seem to have great Kayak depts. Also, there is this great store in CT that is Kayak specific that allows you to "test drive" in a nearby lake as well...just picked up a magazine with tons of tri-state possibilities.

What is the name of the CT store? Is it close by?

Here are some links for you to get started:

http://www.atlantickayaktours.com/

http://www.lakegeorgekayak.com/

http://www.lakegeorgekayak.com/

http://www.paddlesportcenter.com/

A few years ago I rented them at Playland to use in the sound. They were the sit on type. Does anybody know if they still do that? It was a private organization and not through the county.

A few years ago I rented them at Playland to use in the sound. They were the sit on type. Does anybody know if they still do that? It was a private organization and not through the county.

Only boats I know of out of Playland are the little paddle boats. Kayaking on the sound out of there would be interesting tho. Especially in the marshes.

Update: From KayakNY.com:

First, the bad news...

NO KAYAK RENTALS AT PLAYLAND...

Due to circumstances beyond our control, we will not be operating the kayak rental at Playland this year.

I've been kayaking in the Sound for about 10 years, I bought my kayak at Campmor in Paramus, NJ...

There's a place right at the rotary in Peekskill that rents and sells kayaks/canoes.

Also check out The Small Boat Shop in Norwalk,CT

http://www.thesmallboatshop.com

Has no one gone kayaking down by the jersey shore?? Seaside Heights is a great place to start off. Its 5 minutes from Toms River and there are numerous places down there that offer kayak rentals. Also try taking the kayak out into the ocean, rather than the bay. It offers more of a challenge and its a lot of fun to ride waves into shore.

Also check out www.poconowhitewater.com in Jim Thorpe, PA. I was up there this past Sunday for the first time and its very basic whitewater rafting and kayaking.

Kayaking is a very fun sport to get into. Hope you have lots of fun with it!

Kayaking trip anyone?

lol.

Also available at Pocono Whitewater (www.poconowhitewater.com) is a game called "Skirmish" It is one of the largest and most complex games of paintball I have ever seen. One of their Skirmish Fields is The Tippmann Castle. The Tippmann Castle has ten towers, six gates, ramparts, spiral staircases, interior rooms, a bridge from the inner castle to outer castle walls and is 3 stories high. They hold a large event annually called "D-Day". Last year there was a total of 2,711 participants. Events this year are held on July 9-10, at Pocono Whitewater at Lehigh River in Jim Thorpe, PA. I will most likely be attending. More info at www.skirmish.com