Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BFD389RET

Palm Beach Florida "OnBoarding" proposals

5 posts in this topic

Palm Beach City is up set it seems with People taking the test being hired and Leaving for Palm Beach County Fire Rescue.... They are refering to ways to recoup costs between uniforms and the process of getting on..

(Interesting read, at least)

http://www.palmbeachdailynews.com/news/news/local/firefighters-union-objects-to-on-boarding-proposal/ndm22/

Palm Beach makes like 40k less than Palm Beach County Fire Rescue. PBCFR has 1200 members, PBFD has like 40. PBFD has a bunch of richards for Chiefs. Its not hard to see.

BFD389RET likes this

A news story earlier in the week mentioned that Marion County in central Florida is also experiencing retainage issues. The average firefighter is only staying for six years so they are losing their experienced firefighters.

Starting firefighter/EMT salary is just under $30K, firefighter/paramedic is just under $36K. in 2011 the union agreed to a 3 year salary freeze, new contract talks are set to begin shortly.

BFD389RET likes this

Hello Brothers.

I have seen this up here in the northeast New England. There is at least one smaller combination department that is amid 4 larger city departments. We are not county operated here in CT. However, our small state places a lot of diversification within reach of each community. That department is "on-boarding" costs associated with employing and developing new FF's if they within a prescribed amount of time leave for any reason.

It seems to me that PB city should as you guys pointed out, just provide the incentive with contract enhancements to maintain those that they are losing. I think they are taking a gamble and figuring that it would be cheaper to hold back the enhancements and loose the hiring costs. It looks like to me they are loosing the bet. Good Luck.

TRex.

BFD389RET likes this

This was a major deal in NY with police depts. and it was referred to as "badge drain". NYPD & many small 'inner city" depts. who's pay was low would train recruits (6 months + of academy) and after a year or 2 they get offered a job with a small village (very high end bedroom community). They double their pay, and have a nicer work environment, the village saves a ton & gets an experienced officer (which includes dealing with street crime at a level they wont see in 20 years in the small dept.) The only loser is the city dept, who is out the training costs. When some of those cities started to pay better wages, the drain slowed.

BFD389RET and billy98988 like this