Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Ignition Interlock Systems On Ambulances

5 posts in this topic

It seems like I read weekly about an ambulance "taken for a joyride" throughout the country.

My question.....why isn't a simple, inexpensive ignition interlock system installed (and used) in ALL ambulances? It's like the Remote Start feature you may have in your car.

(Yes, we should also always lock our ambulances, but that's not always possible or remembered)

There are devices available to keep the ambulance running. We have a simple button on the dashboard. Push the button, turn the key to the off position and pull out the key. The rig stays running. Get back in the rig, insert the key and off you go. Anyone who jumps in and steps on the brake to take the truck out of park causes the engine to shutoff.

x635, Capejake72 and Officer Ed like this

I wonder the same thing. Where I worked, they had them in several rigs, then stopped installing them. Didn't make much sense, it probably came down to cents. (Sorry for the pun)

I have had them in a number of vehicles over the years, if they are not putting them in some now, your right it maybe to save a few bucks.

Before they were available, a few here will remember an incident in Eastchester, where their ambulance was stolen while on a call. The unit travelled a few miles up Route 22 where it crashed into the Scarsdale Animal Control Officer, killing him and totaling the ambulance.

There are devices available to keep the ambulance running. We have a simple button on the dashboard. Push the button, turn the key to the off position and pull out the key. The rig stays running. Get back in the rig, insert the key and off you go. Anyone who jumps in and steps on the brake to take the truck out of park causes the engine to shutoff.

Here in Phoenix in the summer, if we shut off the refrigeration in the cars, it will be 160 dregrees inside when we come back. Some of our cars have a similar lock-out device, as above, but most of the cars are just modified so that the key can be removed with the engine running. Then we just lock the doors.