Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Oil Change For Your POV

6 posts in this topic

I usually get my oil changed every 3,000-5,000 miles.

However, I happened to do some reading on Synthetic Blend oils, and I read with today's modern engines, you don't need to change the oil that frequently.

I went out and checked my oil, and it was full and looked to be in good condition.

Anybody know if this 3-5,000 mile thing is true, or have any input otherwise?

In Canada it is every 8,000 KMS for oil changes.

BMW and MB both are at 15k intervals. Oil is still cheap enough to do once every 3-5 depending on your driving schedule. More short trips would equal more often changes. I do 90% why driving and I do it at around 5-6k. I only use Mobil 1.

My '12 Toyota Highlander come with synthetic and calls for an oil change every 10,000 miles.

with the synthetic you also have to change the filter every 6k or so on some oils and models of car. but you can go up to 20k on the same oil. just top it off a little after you change the filter out. check with the dealer or owners manual. there are some really good car forums out there for almost every car with tech reps from the manufacturer. my truck has a great forum with great techs from the company on there

I still use traditional oil and change it every 5,000 miles (makes it easy to remember). The owners manual recommends 7,500 miles.

Synthetic oils can go 10-15,000 between changes, from what I have read.

Changing oil every 3,000 is for harsh driving conditions.