Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest DADAY

Just a thought!

26 posts in this topic

Speaking with Jim Arena this afternoon, he and I had a thought. Who would be interested in a parade for the children at the Medical Center.

Doesn't have to be big but something to brighten up the childrens day. I has to be tough to be little and stuck at a hospital.

Please give some feed back to this issue and let Jim and I know who would be interested.

think its a great idea, maybe make a day of it and have activites for the kids to do

I think it's a great idea...

I too think its an excellent idea! Kudos to you guys for thinking of it! I think the children that are cooped up in the hospital would love that!

I'm with calhobs...if you're gonna do something like this, why not go all-out, if possible! Get the local FD's, PD's & EMS involved and let them show off their equipment to the children. What kid doesn't love emergency vehicles with lights and sirens?

I know the Med Center is a little financially strapped right now lol, but i'm sure you could get other businesses & organizations to help sponser/support something like this!

Here is the only problem i could forsee but could be mitigated by a little creativity:

Obviously a parade with lots of apparatus would be outdoors. Unfortunaly not every kid would be able to get outside to see the parade. Imagine the poor kid who is hooked up to whatever sorts of stuff that is keeping them alive and stuck behind a miserable window on the 3rd or 4th floor wishing he were with the rest of the kids having fun. It sucks. Don't leave them out. First thing that pops into my head are the fire clowns. You know in the Katnoah parade the guys with the little car driving around making balloons and spraying silly string. I'd bet that car would fit in an elevator and could easily run around the floors to the bedridden kids. I'm sure there are other ways, but thats the first one that comes to mind.

great idea was, lets all try to make it happen

If I can be of any help, let me know. Unfortunatly I don't have too many contacts at WMC, but I see no reason why they wouldn't want something like this to happen.

Alright this is what I was hoping would happen I have the contacts to help pull this off on the inside I can and will talk to them about this. I at this time with Jimmy's diagnoses still up in the air will do what I can to help out,but most of you knew that anyways the clowns from Katonah are an easy one to get. We will build it up from here.

I'll work on Croton - shouldn't be a problem

Does Mohegan have a "mascot" suit of the fire prevention dog? I seem to recall someone around here with one, figured with all the FP stuff they have that would be one of them. IF not, does someone know where we can mascot suits for things like "McGruff the Crime Dog", "Smokey the Bear" (do they even use him anymore - I know it's more a forest fire thing), or "Sparky the Fire Dog" (http://www.nfpa.org/sparky/).

Continental Village FD has the Dog Mascot suit, Cold Spring PD has a McGruff suit. I'm sure we could get them for this.

Anyone know if there is an EMS Mascot? Somehow I don't think a DWI Chicken would do it. ](*,)

Does Mohegan have a "mascot" suit of the fire prevention dog? I seem to recall someone around here with one, figured with all the FP stuff they have that would be one of them. IF not, does someone know where we can mascot suits for things like "McGruff the Crime Dog", "Smokey the Bear" (do they even use him anymore - I know it's more a forest fire thing), or "Sparky the Fire Dog" (http://www.nfpa.org/sparky/).

I know Croton has one, probably buried under god knows what in the basement of the Grand St firehouse. I'll ask around to make sure we still have it

Brewster has a full sized Sparky the fire dog, that dances and talk the whole 9 yards.

Ardsley has a Sparky costume as well.

Since I don't have enough Juice to get a rig up there, I will be more than happy to dress up in any outfit. Ask fitzjr11 of my experiences at a few of the LCFD Explorer Run Xmas parties for the kids back in the day.

Mohegan has a robotic ambulance named Andy, great for the kids, and Im all in for this at WMC, my brother has been in the ICU 4 times in the last 8 months so I know how it is for kids to be stuck in there, If theres anything I can do with Mohegan let me know.

I can't speak for Ferg, but I'm sure we could liberate something from Pleasantville to add to the collection

I cna see if SHAC and SHFD can do something and i also think SHPD has a Mc gruff suit i needed let me know and i will see what can swing

Also was thinking if anyone has a contact in pepsi, I have heard that they are into stuff like this maybe they can sponser a bbq and for the kids that cant come out we can bring food up to them, know this could be a big expense but maybe worth looking into, I know its a hosptail and some kids may not be able to eat a bbq but one hotdog or burger wont hurt them. Also we could think of some activites to do with them.

I know a few people at the bottling group but they are in accounting. Don't think they have much pull there. We'd have better luck with someone in corporate in Purchase.

And depending on how big this thing gets, you might be able to get some celebs to join us for the meet with the kids. Considering Dave Cone's involvement with the baseball exibit, we might be able to get some sports people involved.

But do we want to get that big or KISS?

I'd think more simply with this event. Sometimes, bells/whistles and all the extras isn't what matters.

It's your being there and showing support that matters the most.

I think the majority of the people receptive to this idea would like to get this done. Hopefully, I will have some further details later.....

I feel we should just get things really statrted we need to pick a date, time and how we are gonna do this. Celebs would be nice for the kids, but if we can't get them then we have to do what we have to do.

Ma. ybe since its on the same grounds, we could get the DES rigs, Engine and Ladder 7. I don't think they respond on the weekends and if they are not used in training the day we choose, I don;t see any reason Comm. Sutton or Jackson would say no.

As far as sponsers go, you may want to look into Firefighter brand soda & foods. Yorktown FD used them for their Chilli night. I believe they sold sodas & chips to YFD real cheap & whatever wasn't sold, Firefighter brand bought back. I'm sure they'd be all for some good PR like this!