Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Westchester County First Annual F.A.S. Team Challenge

3 posts in this topic

Westchester County First Annual F.A.S.Team Challenge

June 19th from 19:00 to 22:00 hours

June 22nd from 08:00 to 16:00 hours

Description: NFPA 1407 (2010 version): Standard for Training Fire Service Rapid Intervention Crews, has formalized the training requirements for members who participate in F.A.S.T. (RIT) and for those who serve as leaders of a F.A.S.T. The standard provides a framework for identifying the skills that are necessary to be included in training for F.A.S.T. Our staff has reviewed the NFPA standard and prepared a skills challenge for the fire departments that currently operate a F.A.S.Team.

On Thursday, June 19th, teams will be requested to report to the training center with their F.A.S.T. apparatus and equipment. The program will begin with a familiarization of apparatus and equipment carried by the attending departments. Following the familiarization, several of NFPA 1407 team required skills will be discussed.

On Sunday, June 22nd, the teams will arrive with their F.A.S.T. apparatus and all equipment. The F.A.S.Team Challenge will be as follows; four skills will be chosen from list below, each team will rotate through the selected stations while being timed and evaluated. Each training scenario will be staged as closely to the conditions expected to be encountered in an emergency scene. The teams will be assessed based on time, mastery of skills, and compliance with accepted safety standards.

Possible Scenarios:

1. Locating, assessing and removing a downed firefighter

2. Moving a downed firefighter up a flight of stairs

3. Moving a downed firefighter down a first flight of stairs

4. Removing a downed firefighter from a first-floor window

5. Removing a downed firefighter from a second-floor window

6. Removing a downed firefighter from a hole in the floor.

Target audience: Member of a current F.A.S.Team in Westchester County. Teams from six (6) departments; consisting of six (6) members. Team members must be from the same department.

Prerequisites: Completion of Firefighter I, Firefighter Survival, F.A.S.T. and must be a member of a current F.A.S.Team in Westchester County.

Registration: Pre-registration is mandatory, walk-ins are not permitted. Chiefs and Training Officers, to register your F.A.S.Team, please send an e-mail to FireTraining@westchestergov.com with the names of the six (6) team members participating in the competition. A maximum of six (6) teams will be registered. Each student must present NYS Training Authorization Letter (attached).

Venue: Westchester County DES Training Center, 4 Dana Rd. – Grasslands Campus, Valhalla, New York. All students are to park in the lot adjacent to the Support Services Building located at 35 Walker Road. (There is a stairway linking the parking lot directly to the training campus.) For questions or concerns regarding weather or course cancellation call (914) 231 – 1615.

I think this is a great idea! On top of it being a "competition," what a great way to get a majority of the teams together to discuss their operational tactics, and view each other's equipment!

Good Luck to the teams that compete.

x635 likes this

More useful than "Midnight Alarm" or "Water Barrel." I like the historical competitions, but I'm MUCH happier to see people practice on useful skills.

I'd be interested to see how this turns out. Good luck!